35. Prom

“Hey,” I mumble, standing in Lo’s doorway.

He sits up, a small smile forming on his lips.

               “You’re looking very beautiful,” he whispers.

               “Thanks. I’m waiting for Ryder and then we’ll be heading to the prom,” I explain, biting on my lower lip.

He rolls his eyes at me. “I should have known. Anyway, you look good!”

               “Thanks,” I mumble. “So...I just came to tell you. Talk to you later?” I ask hopefully.

Logan gets off his bed, walks over to me and hugs me tightly.

               “You have a good time. And don’t you forget to give me your blow-by-blow account of your night...unless it involves nasty things with my brother, in which case don’t tell me!” he adds quickly.

I giggle, swatting his arm.            

               “A girl doesn’t kiss and tell!” I call over my shoulder, walking across the hallway to Ryder’s room.

               “I have a better idea! How about you guys don’t kiss? Then there will be nothing to tell!” he suggests.

I roll my eyes at him.

He grins and shuts his door.

I’m so glad Lo is back to his normal self!

I knock on Ryder’s door.

               “Ry, are you done yet? You’re taking longer to get dressed than me!” I tease.

               “Come on in, I’m just finishing something up,” he calls back.

Grinning to myself, I push the door open and stop short.

Ryder’s fully dressed in a divine tuxedo. But that’s not what’s stopped me. Nope. What stopped me was Ryder leaning over his table, a neat line of some white powder on the table.

               “What are you doing?” I demand!

               “Actually, you don’t want to know,” he says, grinning handsomely.

Darn him and his good looks!

               “Actually, I want to know, Ryder,” I whisper.

Ryder smirks, shaking his head. “I’m sure you don’t! That way, you can plead possible deniability!”

               “Ryder...is that smack?” I ask.

               “Nope, not heroin,” he qualifies.

God!

I don’t even know why I’m surprised.

I’ve seen him snorting smack before! He’s the quintessential bad boy!

               “Are you mad at me?” he finally asks.

               “I guess I don’t have the right to be mad at you, do I?” I sigh.

Ryder stands up, brushing his suit clean. “Oh? Do share.”

               “I mean...I knew all about you and your unhealthy habits before we got together. It would be kind of hypocritical of me to suddenly decide that now I don’t like that part of you!”