19. Apology

Barely two minutes later, Ryder’s Benz comes back into view. He pulls over by the curb and climbs out of his car.

He wears a rueful look and has a hand running through his thick, dark hair.

And like an idiot, I’m still standing in the exact same position as he left me in.

               “I crossed the line again Faye. I’m sorry,” he whispers unbelievably close to me.

I blink a couple of times before I regain my senses. Before I can stop myself, my hand has snaked its way up to his face and slapped him in the face. The moment I do though, I regret it! Ryder is so going to slap me back!

But he doesn’t. He looks like a kid being disciplined for something he knew he did. “I deserved that one,” he mumbles dryly.

               “You deserve a lot worse than that,” I snap quietly.

               “How about an eye for an eye. You could sexually harass me?” he suggests with a wicked glint in his eyes.

I roll my eyes at him and stomp into his house. Logan’s car is parked in the driveway, he must be in his room. I just need to get to the safety of his room in order to be free of Ryder.

               “Wait! That was a joke!” Ryder calls after me. I hear the gravel crunch under his feet as he follows me.

When I’m on the staircase, he grabs my wrist and turns me around to face him. “Look, I have issues. I know. I kinda forget that you’re Logan’s best friend sometimes. And to be honest, it seems like you purposely go out of your way to tempt me,” he admits.

               “Me? Tempt you?!” I ask incredulously. But this astonishing comment kind of dissipates my anger.

               “Oh come on! You’re always prancing around in your tiny, mini skirt!” he complains, grinning slightly.

               “What is your problem?! This is my school uniform! I’m not some kind of a slut despite how much you seem to think I am!” I murmur coldly.

Ryder sighs deeply before pulling me down one step so we’re at the same height. “I know what I said was so completely wrong. You have to know I don’t think of you as a slut or anything. I swear. I was just angry about the whole Ellis thing!” he mumbles after a moment.

               “I don’t get that! You have no right to be angry!” I half shout.

               “Shh!” Ryder murmurs pressing his finger against my lips. He throws a cautious look around before making up his mind. He pulls me up the stairs into his room and locks the door. “Okay, you see, you’re a good kid. Ellis is just all wrong for you. He’s rough and tough...and he’d use you.”

               “Hmm, I can’t imagine why you don’t like him. He sounds exactly like you,” I accuse.

Ryder rolls his eyes at me and sits down on his bed beside me. “Okay, so I admit I may not be the most...gentlemanly of guys. But I know what’s wrong and right. I only treat the girls the way they deserve to be treated. I treat the bitches like crap. But you aren’t a bitch, Pip. You’re one of the coolest girls I know. I would never, ever treat you like that,” he murmurs solemnly.

Wait...what is he saying?

               “What do you mean Ryder?” I ask tentatively.

Ryder immediately blushes and gets off the bed. “Nothing. Forget it. I’m just sorry, okay?” he mumbles awkwardly, pacing up and down.

               “Are you sure? It didn’t sound like nothing,” I push.