23. Confession Time

“Here you go,” Logan mumbles, pressing a cup of hot coffee into my hands. “Just drink it Faye!” he instructs before I can object.

               “Thanks,” I mumble, taking a sip of the hot, bitter liquid.

Sarah left about a half hour after Ryder went into surgery. She wanted to head back to the mansion to get Ryder some stuff from home, like clothes and books and things to make his stay here a little less horrible.

               “What’s taking so long?” Logan asks irritably, beginning to pace again. He’s been pacing from the moment they wheeled Ryder away. In fact, that was the reason I sent him to go get a drink for himself. Watching him pace only has me more worked up.

The waiting room doors fly open as a tall guy with dirty blonde hair storms in. His face is haggard and he looks like he just got out of bed.

               “Faye, what happened?!” he demands, taking both of my shoulders and shaking me roughly.

               “Oi! Get the hell off her!” Logan snarls, shoving Tony back.

               “No! It’s alright Lolo! This is Tony! He’s one of Ryder’s friends! What’s wrong Tony? Why do you look like you just jumped out of bed?” I ask, helping him off the floor.

               “Because I literally just did! I didn’t go for Ryder’s game. I had no idea what happened until someone called me just now. Is he alright? Where is he?” he demands loudly.

               “Shh!” I hiss, casting a quick look around to make sure nobody was going to come and kick us out for being noisy. “He’s not doing so good. He fractured his tibia and it’s a very serious fracture. He’s undergoing surgery now,” I explain.

               “No fcuking way! Surgery?!” he exclaims, wide-eyed.

I nod my head slightly and give him a small smile. “But he’ll be okay. He has to,” I breathe softly.

Tony gives me a sympathetic look before taking a seat on one of the hard plastic chairs. “I’ll just wait here then, if you don’t mind,” he mumbles awkwardly.

I shrug my shoulders and sit down beside him, taking another sip of the awful coffee. Logan continues pacing. If he doesn’t stop soon he’s going to wear the tiles down!

After another ten minutes, Sarah walks through the doors with a small knapsack in her hands. She throws a questioning look at Logan and when he just stares back at her, I notice her shoulders hunch a little.

She sits down beside me and takes my hand, squeezing it lightly.

               “No news is good news,” I mumble, leaning my head against her shoulder.

               “I suppose. How long has it been?” she asks softly.

               “Three hours now,” Logan mutters from where he’s pacing. “Mum, you should get some sleep. Go lie down on Ryder’s bed in the room. I’ll wake you up the moment there’s news.”

               “I can’t sleep, not while he’s undergoing surgery,” she whispers, her voice shaking a little.

I squeeze her hand gently, trying to reassure her. “You should sleep. The both of you look like the walking dead,” she comments, smoothening my hair.

               “I want to make sure he’s okay first,” I mumble, yet my eyes close on their own accord.

I keep my eyes closed, but remain awake for the remaining time. After what felt like a century, the sounds of the door creaking open has me sitting bolt upright.