01. Prologue/Introduction

Buzz, buzz, buzz!

I get off my bed groggily and start looking around for that bloody buzzing sound. My crazy red curls are everywhere! God! I really need to get a straightener!

Buzz, buzz, buzz!

I glance around sleepily and finally find the source of the buzzing; my stupid phone is on silent. I hit red reject call button and climb back into bed. Dreams, you may come and take me away again!

Buzz, buzz, buzz!

God damn it! Who in the world calls at...I squint at my alarm clock and groan. It’s freaking two in the morning!

Buzz, buzz, buzz!

I hiss under my breath and kick my covers off again. I grab the phone and stare down at it; Incoming call from Logan Preston. Damn my annoying best friend!

               “What?!” I hiss into the phone, letting him know exactly how angry I am!

               “Why’s your light on? Are you still awake? It’s really late you know,” he informs me calmly.

               “Logan!” I moan into my phone, jumping back into my bed. “You woke me up to tell me...wait! How do you know my light is on?” I demand, getting off the bed again. I poke my head out of my window, and sure enough, Logan’s red Mustang is in the driveway. He sees me and waves happily. “You’re such a freaky stalker,” I mumble.

               “That’s why you love me, Faye,” he murmurs cockily as the line dies. He jogs over to my window and expertly climbs up the tree by my bedroom window.

Logan’s been climbing into my room ever since his family moved to the other side of town last year. I stand aside to allow my best friend in the whole wide world to climb into my room. In a matter of minutes, he’s dusting himself off in my room, looking proud of himself.

Logan’s gorgeous; tall, toned, blonde hair, blue eyes...basically the whole living, breathing Adonis thing going on. If I didn’t grow up with him, I’d totally be head over heels for him. But when two people have taken showers as little kids together and basically done everything together, the bond just surpasses crush, you know? I love him. I’m not in love with him. He’s my safety zone though and I’d literally die without him.

               “Oh! You really were asleep!” he comments, taking a good look at me.

               “You think?” I ask sarcastically, flopping onto my bed. “You gotta keep it down, Lolo. My mum has company over,” I murmur, shuddering. My mum is, bless her soul, a complete and total skank. She has more boyfriends than the entire cheerleading squad in my convent, combined!

               “Another one, eh?” Logan says as he smirks, giving me a wink. “Are we starting to get jealous that mum has more boyfriends?” he teases.

               “It’s not funny Lolo! Anyway, what are you doing here?” I demand, as my eyes flutter close.

I feel the bed shift under me, and I know Logan’s climbed in too. “I just missed you. I was out with some friends and well...I missed you. So I thought I’d drive by,” he murmurs simply.

This is one of the reasons I love Logan. Our friendship is so simple. We love each other and we are each other’s support system. It’s been this way for the past 12 years.

               “How’s Meghan?” I ask softly.

Meghan is Logan’s current girlfriend. I personally hate her guts, but hey, it’s Logan’s choice if he wants to end up with the devil’s spawn, right?

               “That’s actually kind of the reason I’m here,” he admits sheepishly, rolling onto his side, propping his head up with his hand. “We broke up in school today.”

My eyes shoot open and I quickly scan my best friend’s handsome face. “I’m sorry Lo. What happened? Are you okay?” I demand, lying on my side so we were facing each other.

               “I’m fine,” he murmurs easily, smiling bright. “She was cheating on me. With almost all of my team mates. I guess the thing I’m really upset over is the fact that...well, the guys were willing to betray me like that,” he admits, looking a little crestfallen.

               “That sucks. Thank god I’m your best friend, huh? At least you know I won’t ever betray you by sleeping with your girlfriend,” I tease, giving him a one-handed hug.

               “I sure hope you don’t, Faye,” he murmurs back, rolling onto his back. “How’s school?”

Logan attends this public school near the centre of town. It’s one of the better schools in the state but pretty expensive. Despite all my whining and begging, my mum decided to enrol me in a convent, about twenty minutes from my house.

               “Lolo, you can imagine the kind of drama I have to deal with. I mean, 500 girls, all under one roof for about seven hours?” I clarify, rolling my eyes.

               “I smell a story. What’s up?” he asks, concerned.

               “There’s this girl. A senior. She’s kind of been making my life a little difficult for the past couple of weeks. Nothing I can’t handle...but it’s tiresome,” I murmur as flippantly as possible.

               “A senior? So she’d be my age then. You want me to come over and help you out?” he demands, his eyes lightening up at the prospect.

               “I don’t need help. But thanks, Lolo. You rock. Best best friend in the world,” I whisper, kissing him on the cheek.

               “That’s my name,” he mutters cockily. “You should really get to sleep,” he advices, getting off the bed, slightly reluctant.

               “Spend the night, Lolo. You know my mum wouldn’t mind if you spent the night. Just one of the perks of having Theresa as a mother,” I mutter darkly. My mum and I have less than a civil relationship, and Logan is well aware of it. My mum adores him though.

               “I thought you’d never offer,” he teases, climbing back into my bed.

               “Night Lolo,” I whisper.

               “Night Faye,” he whispers back.