24. Road Trip

“Ryder...I don’t know what to say!” I moan after a moment. I jump off the bed and begin pacing back and forth. What to do? What to say?

               “I just...I don’t know if we’re right for each other. I mean, we’re so different! You’re like the epitome of a bad boy, and I’m a good girl...” I continue.

               “Faye,” Ryder murmurs softly.

I ignore him though. “No, let me think. I mean, you’re good looking and all...but you’re kind of a pervert, a scary, aggressive pervert. And Logan and I are best friends...that would be odd! Like, if I came over to your place, who do I meet with? And if we break up...what happens?”

               “Faye,” Ryder tries again.

               “Shut up Ryder! This has nothing to do with you!” I snap, still pacing. “On the other hand, if we do start dating, I’ll definitely move up to the social ladder, wouldn’t I?”

               “Faye!” Ryder half shouts.

I turn to stare at him, my eyebrows raised. “What is it? You don’t have to shout you know! I’m not deaf!”

               “Could have fooled me,” he whispers under his breath, a smirk on his face.

               “What do you want?” I snap, hands on hips.

               “I wanted to tell you that I was just kidding,” he murmurs, smiling at me.

I feel my cheeks heat up in humiliation. Oh my god!

               “I...knew that!” I huff, forcing a fake smile on my face.

               “Yeah, I could tell from the way you were raving and ranting,” he murmurs sarcastically.

               “No! I knew it...I was just acting,” I splutter. I can feel my cheeks getting hot and I try my best to keep the stupid, fake smile on my face.

               “Okay,” Ryder murmurs, still smirking.

               “I really did!” I insist.

               “Good then. The last thing I would want is for you to think I’m in love with you. You’re just my little brother’s annoying best friend,” he continues, looking a little down.

               “Yeah...yeah, and you’re just my best friend’s perverted, irritating, man-whore of an older brother,” I quip. “Anyway...I should go,” I mumble awkwardly.

               “Yeah...it’s getting late. Good night Faye!” Ryder murmurs softly.

               “Yeah, night man-whore,” I reply, quickly walking out the door.

Oh my god! I can’t believe I actually thought he was being serious! How stupid!

Completely and utterly mortified, I head to the waiting room where Tony and Logan are sitting.

               “You can see him now Tony,” I mumble awkwardly.

Tony nods his head and gives me a small hand squeeze before walking out of the waiting room.

               “You okay Faye?” Logan asks the moment the door swings close.

               “Yeah, fine,” I mumble. “Can you send me home? I’m kinda tired.”

               “Yeah, sure...” Logan replies, taking my hand, leading me towards the parking lot.

>>> The next week in school >>>

               “Faye Malcolm, kindly make your way to the principal’s office. Immediately. Thank you,” the intercom blares.

Everyone in class turns to stare at me and I feel myself shrink back from the curious glares.

               “Well, you heard it Ms Malcolm. Scurry off,” my teacher murmurs encouragingly. I nod my head and shuffle awkwardly down the long, quiet corridors until I finally get to the principal’s office.

I walk into the office and the secretary smiles sympathetically. “Umm, hi...I’m supposed to see the principal?” I ask.

               “Yes, dear. Go right ahead, and I’m so sorry for your loss,” she whispers, her voice shaking.

I stare at her weirdly, walking into the principal’s office. He sits behind his desk, looking sombre. And opposite him sits Ryder, also looking sombre.

               “Ryder?!” I demand.

               “Yes, sis...I’m so sorry but dad was in a horrible road accident,” he whispers. The moment he turns his back to the principal, he winks at me.

               “Wait...whose dad?” I ask, still not catching on.

               “Our father, dear sister. We simply have to go to the hospital. Immediately!” he continues, making his voice shaky.

               “I don’t...get it,” I mumble.

Ryder throws me a glare before plastering a sympathetic smile on his face as he turns to face the principal.

               “Poor Faye, she’s still in shock,” he explains.

The principal nods his head. “You should go to your father Faye. And take as long as you need, alright?”

I nod my head jerkily. Ryder thanks the principal and gestures for me to follow him. He’s limping a little, and leaning heavily on his walking stick. But he was discharged two days ago, and he’s been dying to walk around, or so Logan tells me. I’ve been too embarrassed to actually go to see him.

               “You’ve been avoiding me,” Ryder accuses once we’re out of the school building.

               “Nonsense! I’ve just been busy,” I mumble, shrugging.

He studies for a moment before rolling his eyes. “I’m so sure this has nothing to do with your little rant the other day at the hospital.”

               “Absolutely nothing!” I insist sourly.

               “Sure. You’ll spill eventually,” he murmurs cryptically.

I look up to find Logan leaning against the hood of his red mustang, smiling happily at me.

               “What’s going on?” I demand, hissing at Ryder.

               “Logan said you’ve been weird lately,” he responds. “I thought you needed some R&R. So I figured, since you need R&R and I need some fun, we’d go for a road trip. Logan was up for it, and well...here we are!” he finishes, grinning.

And despite myself, I smile. Logan and I haven’t been on a road trip in ages! This will be wicked...so long as Ryder doesn’t bring up my humiliating rant again. God help me!