Chapter 1. Hot Tuesdays and Black Shorts

.............

............

They were sitting at the little dining table in the dorm room,  Kong told Arthit that they had met before, and then he explained where. 

As he started telling the story,  it all came back to Arthit.   He remembered sitting with him in the warm sun and the future students' smile.
Thinking back,  Arthit could still hear his voice and the way he smelled.
Kongpop smelled like strawberries.  How could he forget that? 

It must have been a soap or a shampoo but it was definite.  Arthit loved strawberries and remembered at the time the scent made him salivate.

"Oh,"  his lips pursed,  "Arthit,  why didn't you ever tell me?"

Arthit used Kong's favourite reply.  "You never asked me."

Arthit put his elbows on the small table and his palms under his chin.
"Well,  for your information, I do remember, exactly."  
Arthit was turning pink.  "I thought you were very handsome."

Kong wrinkled his eyebrows.  "You say that now P',  but look how hard you made me work to get you."

Arthit reached over and placed his hand on Kong's cheek,  giving it a little pat,  teasing.  
"Hasn't it been worth it?"

"So you do remember me,  really, P'?"

"Yes, of course,   It was a Tuesday and bloody hot." 

Kong had a doubting look on his face.  "You don't remember that P'."

"Shh, just listen."  Arthit was sitting across from him and he looked serious.

"I remember,  I grabbed a drink from the vending machine.  I saw you across the courtyard,  there were lots of you guys there for orientation and interviews that day." 

"You were in the centre of the covered walkway,  I thought you were tall and lean, fair-skinned,  you were wearing your school black shorts and a pure white shirt. 

"Arthit?  How could you?..."  

"Sshh..."

"You were talking on the phone and when you finished you slid the phone in the front pocket of your shorts. I remember your handsome face looked frustrated."  Arthit grinned.

"I noticed your full lips and deep brown eyes too, your hair was flawless, and you glowed with inner confidence."

"Inner confidence?  Oh my God P' don't talk like this,  do you know what you're doing to me?"

"Shh..."  Arthit was leaning in and looking into Kong's eyes.

He was using a mysterious kind of voice and teasing Kong.  "So I decided it might not be so bad outside. You moved towards the table and sat with a large manila envelope in front of you.  I saw you were in deep thought."