Chapter 32 | Just One Day

We were stronger than ever-the two of us. I'm not sure if it was because of that extra step we took or if it was because Ryan was no longer take shit from anyone, but our whole relationship seemed to change.

I hadn't seen him in a day or so, but I knew he was okay. Devin helped take my mind off of a lot of things, too. He even told me something that I'm sure he wouldn't tell anyone else.

He approached me when I was sitting on the couch, flipping through Netflix. I had been doing that for almost ten minutes, not seeing something I actually wanted to watch, so when Devin sat next to me, looking like he needed to speak, I was glad.

At first, he stuttered, and then he was able to spill it out in one.

"I think I like someone."

I smiled, a bright one.

Devin seemed so hung up on Vinny, dressing the thought of moving on from what happened. To hear him tell me this made me happier than ever for him.

"I mean," He continued, gaze cast to the carpet, "I'll always miss Vinny, even if we never really did have something, but I think I've been able to look past it. I don't think I've moved on, but I think I'm ready to start."

"That's great!" I leaned forward and hugged him, smiling even brighter when I heard him let out a soft laugh.

"He asked me to prom, and I said yes. You can meet him then."

"When is prom, again?" I questioned, eyebrows furrowing.

Devin looked at me as if I had grown a third head. "Ricky, are you serious?"

I was silent, staring at him and expecting an actual answer.

"It's tomorrow, you idiot!"

"Huh," I hummed, somewhat surprised, "Really?"

He rolled his eyes at me. "Sometimes I worry about you. I really do."

I lightly shoved him back with a chuckle.

"Who're you taking?" He asked, settling next to me.

"Josh and I are escorting each other because neither of us wanted to rock up alone."

It wasn't a lie. Josh and I did agree on such. However, Ryan and I also spoke about it. He told me he'd meet me there, away from the eyes of students, because he wasn't necessarily allowed to go to the prom. But, Ryan said he needed to, anyway, and he wanted to see me there. We had it all sorted out. There was no way that someone, or something, would ruin it.

| | |

I wrapped my arms around Ryan's neck as he rested his hands on my hips. My head was pressed on his chest, and I could hear the calm beating of his heart.

We swayed to silence, nothing but to stillness of the night and Ryan's protective grip on me keeping me at bay.

"Just one day," He mumbled.

Lifting my head up, I frowned and hummed.

"One day until prom, and one day until all of this is over."

"If you're talking about school being close to over, than I'm with you on that one," I said as I resumed my previous position.

He chuckled, but didn't respond.

Moments like this with Ryan was what I lived for. There was no one but us. No one to interrupt, no one to mock, and no one to worry about. It was moments like this that made me more and more sure that I was slowly falling in love with Ryan.

Just one day...