Chapter 7 | Pale Blue Dot

The groups weren't exactly what I wanted, but I didn't have that much of a problem with them. I was put with Ryan, Kuza, Matt and two other kids I didn't know. Devin was with Franccesca, Angelo and three randoms, whilst Chris, Kylie and Josh were, too, with three randoms. Like I said, they weren't that bad, but they could've been better. Why they chose to make them odd numbers, I don't know, but t annoyed me more than it should've.

Ryan and I were in a room next to Kylie and Franccesca, so if shit went downhill, Franccesca and I could always secretly swap. I mean, it's not a bad idea.

As we stepped into our room, my eyes widened at the space–or, lack of–space within it.

There were bunk beds and space to put our shit. Really, all we needed, but I was still surprised that we payed a ton for next to nothing.

Ryan threw his bag on the bottom bunk, and I frowned.

"You don't want the top?"

He shook his head, "Unless you want the bottom, no."

I nodded and threw my bag on my bed, then leaned against it.

He was silent the whole bus ride. Yeah, it wasn't so bad, but I wanted to at least get to know him. After all, we're spending a week in the same room. May as well speak about something.

I looked up at the clock on the wall.

We were directed to head to the main room once we sorted bunks out. From there, lunch would be served, and the groups would do whatever they were put into.

"Come on." Ryan mumbled and tapped my arm before walking out of the room.

I frowned, quickly following.

As we stepped past their room, Kylie and Franccesca's door opened.

I let out a small sigh of relief, walking at the same pace as Kylie whilst Franccesca caught up to Ryan.

"How is he?"

I turned to Kylie, confused, "What do you mean?"

"Is he... okay...?"

I opened my mouth, ready to answer before I closed it again.

Was Ryan okay? I know nothing about him, so how would I be able to tell? He doesn't smile, but that's probably a natural thing.

"Define okay."

She sighed, "How much does he talk?"

"Not much."

"What does he talk about?"

"Jack shit."

She chuckled under her breath, but shook her head, "You should talk to him. I know, Ghost and Josh still don't think the best of Ryan, but Franccesca.. said a few things."

"Talk?" I frowned, "Talk about what?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "Anything. Just, if he tells you something about him, make sure you do the same. His temper isn't the best. Though, I highly doubt he would lash out on you."

"Why's that?" I asked, even more confused.

She looked at me for a few seconds before sighing, "I don't know."

'I highly doubt he would lash out on you'...

| | |

After splitting up into our groups, then into two, Ryan and I wandered through the forest.

The sun was just setting, so we had under an hour to finish this 'scavenger hunt'.

For the middle of summer, it was fairly cold. Ryan was smart, unfortunately. He brought a hoodie. I brought my beanie, and that was it. It may be been summer, but we both stuck with jeans.

Speaking of Ryan's.. dress code.. He always seemed to wear the same things. It was always jeans, button up shirts, and vans. All in black, of course. In my few weeks of knowing him, I'd never seen him wear a shirt that wasn't collared. It made me wonder if he even knew what a t-shirt was.

I shivered slightly, stuffing my hands into my pockets.

I did prefer the cold, but I didn't exactly like being cold.

Ryan turned to me, slipping his jumper off and handing it to over, "Here."

"No, it's fine. You-"

"Take it, Ricky."

I sighed and took his jumper out of his hands, throwing it on and zipping it up.

It was warm. I could only imagine how he felt...

Ryan and I stopped walking when we made it to the lake.

He sat down on one of the rocks, picking a pebble up and throwing it across the water.

I sat next to him, trying my best to keep my distance.

Ryan was, as expected and as usual, quiet. He sat with his arms holding him up and his eyes running across the water as we sat in silence.

Slowly, my mind drifted back to what Kylie had said.

I did want to know more about Ryan. But, I didn't want to know what others did. I didn't want him to tell me his experiences from that night several years ago. I wanted to know about him. What his favourite colour was, his favourite food... I mean, I hope that's what Kylie meant..

"Hey, Ryan?" I mumbled.

"Hmm?"

"Tell me about yourself.."

He turned to me, frowning, "Excuse me?"

I tried my best not to blush from the sudden attention, "I wanna know more about you."

He raised and eyebrow, "One for one?"

I nodded and shifted so I was facing him, him doing the same.

"Deal."