Chapter 10 | Skipping

That night, I hadn't expected Ryan to return to the room, but he did. It was silent, just like the bus ride home a few days later. Ryan didn't even look at me for the remainder of the week. Or the week after that. I kept to myself, and he kept to himself. It was like nothing ever happened between us. There were no laughs shared, no secrets shared, nothing. As another week passed, I couldn't help but regret telling Ryan everything that ever went on in my life.

I shouldn't have told him about my sister, but, at the time, I felt as if he could be trusted. Clearly whatever was going through my head fucked me over.

As the lights started to turn back on, I looked up from my desk, frowning at the substitute teacher.

"Can anyone give me a summary of the events that took place in that time?"

I sighed in relief when someone raised their hand and started answering him.

Half way through, the student was interrupted by the door opening, Ryan later walking through with slouched shoulders and messy hair.

"Sitkowski," The teacher sighed, "Is there any reason as to why you're late?"

"Sorry, sir," He mumbled, "Work took longer than what I thought."

The teacher nodded in understanding and let Ryan go to his desk whilst the student started from where she left.

"I didn't know Ryan had a job." I whispered to Angelo, watching as Ryan tiredly walked to his desk.

Angelo hummed, nodding, "He runs his own garage. His dad used to, but he.. he left a few years ago."

I nodded, letting it go.

It was no surprise that he owned his own shop. I mean, being accused of murder isn't something someone would be looking for when hiring. At least Ryan's taking on what his dad left him, too.

The lesson continued on, the teacher asking things and students answering.

Occasionally, I would look at Ryan, but not once would he look at me.

If anything, he spent more time with his head in his hands.

When the bell went, he didn't move.

Everyone started to slowly leave, but he stayed.

I frowned and grabbed my bag, walking to his desk and lightly tapping his shoulder.

Ryan jumped and grabbed my hand, sighing when he realised to was me.

He quickly stood up and pushed past me, leaving the classroom in a few quick strides.

"You're welcome." I grumbled, shaking my head.

Like I said, he barely even acknowledged me. I don't see why it was so hard to just be my fucking friend. Kylie and Franccesca have gotten along, and Matt and Kuza have gotten closer since camp, why the hell can't he have a simple conversation with me?

| | |

I've always wondered just how many people actually skipped class. I mean, I had my fair share of detentions for skipping, but I never took notice to see how many other people skipped. You'd be surprised, too.

All together, I had probably seen thirty kids walking around the school with no care.

Imagine my surprise when Chris walked past the tree–without Angelo.

Chris still barely spoke a word to anyone but Angelo. Angelo seemed liked he would talk less, but it was Chris who rarely raised his voice above a whisper.

As soon as he spotted me leaned against the tree, he changed direction and headed towards me.

With a small sigh, he sat down next to me, sending me a small smile.

"Hey," I smirked slightly, "Where's Ange?"

"Science." He mumbled, looking down at the ground with a small pout.

My smile lessened, but didn't disappear, "I didn't expect you to wag."

He let out a small chuckle, "Mmm?"

I nodded, slowly letting the silence consume us.

Chris was.. awkward.. around me. He didn't really hold eye contact, or even look at me that much.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly, turning on my side to face him.

He hummed and nodded his head, frowning.

"I may not know you all to well, but I can tell when someone isn't feeling right." I said, giving him a small smile.

"So can I." He mumbled, then turned to me, "You've been acting off since camp. Did Ryan do something to you?"

My eyes widened in surprise. From Chris, it didn't really sound like a question. It sounded like he knew Ryan said or did something, and he was coming to me for a final answer.

"He pushed me away." I whispered after a small moment of hesitation, letting my head fall back on to the tree.

Chris raised an eyebrow, "How so?"

I shrugged and plucked a piece of grass out of the ground, "I thought we were getting somewhere, and then... He just pushed me away."

He nodded, biting his lip.

After a moment, he spoke up, "He wants you as a friend, but he doesn't want to bring you into anything."

"How do you know?" I questioned, "And what could he possibly bring me into that will affect me?"

With a small sigh, Chris stood up as the bell went off, "Everything."