Chapter 29 | Breath

Almost a week had passed since Ryan and I first kissed. Since then, nothing much had actually changed.

Devin spent most nights at Josh's house, and Jenna had a date with Lynn every second or third night.

I sat with Devin and Josh throughout lunch for a few days and was surprised at their lack of questions.

They didn't ask where I always was, who I was with, and they still didn't question me about Ryan and Chris' fight. They weren't really ones to gossip, but I was just shocked that they didn't have anything... not normal to talk about.

Ryan and I... We started to get more comfortable around each other. Of course, there were a few times in class when we would get looks from other people, but, other than that, we were fine. And, I mean fine. There wasn't a single problem. It was almost too good to be true, but he was always there to remind me that he was real, and that we were real.

When I got home from Ryan's place, Jenna noticed the smile on my face.

She was in the kitchen making dinner, but called me back.

Gesturing to my smile, she raised an eyebrow. "What's got you all-" She simply gestured to my smile again, not being able to find the words, "All of the sudden."

Shrugging, I tried to hide the gesture she had noticed. "Nothing."

"Let me rephrase that. Who's got you so happy all of the sudden."

Jenna took the silence rather seriously, because she stopped what she was doing. Walking around the bench, she stopped in front of me.

"What's their name?" She asked. "Wait, dude or chick?"

I bit my lip. "Dude."

She grinned. "How'd you meet? How old is he? Is he cute? What's his name?"

Chuckling, I shifted on my feet. "Um... We... We met on camp. He was... sweet. He's seventeen, and very attractive."

She opened her mouth to respond, but I cut her off.

There was no way I could tell her a fake name, because she'd only end up asking Devin if he knew him, or even ask me to bring him around.

"That's all you get for now!" I exclaimed, running upstairs.

"I didn't even get a name!"

I laughed and shut my bedroom door behind me, jumping when I saw Ryan sitting on the windowsill.

"You think I'm 'very attractive', huh?" He questioned, turning his head to smirk at me.

Blushing, I threw my bag onto the ground and peeled my jacket off. "How'd you hear that?"

"I have my ways."

I stalked to where he was and rested my chin on his shoulder. "Follow me back, or something?"

Ryan shook his head and spun around, jumping into my room. "I just got here."

I hummed, impressed. "You were quick."

"I have my ways," He repeated, still smirking lightly.

I chuckled, then sighed. I raised an eyebrow for a second. "There's only so long I can go without telling her, Ryan."

Lying to Jenna and Devin wasn't something I particularly liked doing. I only did it to protect Ryan. As much as I wanted to continue doing that, I didn't want to lie to them anymore. Not after everything they'd done for me.

I turned around and took my shirt off, trudging to my drawer and pulling a different one out.

I had the black shirt clutched in my hands, ready to slip it on, but Ryan's hands on my hips stopped me.

He spun me around. "I know..."

Offering him a weak smile, I placed a hand on his shoulder. "I won't tell her until you're ready."

"What about Devin? And Josh?"

I pursed my lips, "Honestly... I'm not sure. No matter when I tell them, or how I tell them, they're not gonna' like it."

He lifted a hand to my cheek and caressed it. "I don't want you doing all of these things for me. I mean, Devin and Jenna let you live with them. And Josh doesn't deserve the secret. None of them do."

"I know..." I trailed off, casting my gaze to the ground.

Was this the right thing to do...?