Chapter 3 | Talks

The last period of the day rolled around. I was supposed to have Kylie in this class, but her mom called her home early. I never was a fan of History, so being stuck here on my own made it seem like time wasn't even moving. It didn't help that I was right next to Ryan. Occasionally, I would steal a small glance at him, but that was all. Only then was I able to actually look at his features.

He was wearing a black button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, black skinny jeans and black converses. Really, black everything. His hair was shaved on both sides, long in the middle and held back with–what I could only guess to be–gel. He suited the look. Many people looked like slight geeks, but he looked intimidating.

I stole another glance, not expecting him to already be looking at me.

"Staring's rude." He said, turning his attention back to the board.

His voice definitely matched his looks. It was deep. Deeper than most voices I've heard, which just added to the intimidation.

"I.. Sorry." I mumbled, copying the last sentence down.

He chuckled under his breath, shaking his head, "You're new. You know, you shouldn't be talking to me. It's bad on you."

"I don't see why I can't," I said, an eyebrow raised, "Besides, no matter how many times people tell me not to do something, I'll end up doing it."

As the bell rang, he stood up, looking me in the eye, "Maybe you should listen to them."

I didn't have the opportunity to say anything else because he walked out of the room before any other student.

I don't know how such a small conversation with him drew me closer, but it did. There was something about him, that in the two minutes of talking to him, I saw. Such a small conversation that shouldn't even stick in someone's head stuck in mine. Behind his eyes, I saw many things. Though, I saw a small smile from him. It was tiny–minuscule–, but it didn't go unnoticed. The looks people gave me did get to me, though.

I get that dressing in black skinny jeans, a black hoodie and a black beanie wasn't seen as the most fashionable, but they looked at me like I was crazy. And it wasn't because of the way I dressed. Ryan–and Kylie, Josh and Devin–did tell me that I shouldn't talk to him, and it was obviously expected I didn't. But, some people also looked surprised at the fact that I talked to him, and he talked back. These small things pulled me closer and closer, and I hadn't even been in Scranton for a day.

| | |

I threw my beanie on and smudged my make up a little before walking out of my room and into Devin's.

"You ready?" I asked, watching as he finished applying his mascara.

I followed him out of the house with a bye to Jenna, then walked to Kylie's car where she and Josh were waiting.

Today couldn't have gone by any quicker. Devin, Jenna and I did nothing much, but I was still pretty excited to go out with friends for the first time in, like, forever. Especially to see The Purge.

All four of us were massive fans, so we'd probably be the only ones there with shit eating grins whilst everyone gets their revenge.

I've always wondered what it'd be like if the purge were real. Would I run, or would I kill every fucker who ever tore me down? Probably both. Well, I'd like to think I have the guts to kill them.

After a fifteen minute drive of fooling around, we finally arrived at the movies and I jumped out of the car.

"Someone's excited." Kylie chuckled, locking the car and walking towards the mall.

"Duh." I smiled, doing a little skip.

Like I said, I was excited to go out with friends, and I knew they could see that. I never was popular, so to actually be somewhere with someone other than my sister was a massive achievement.

As Kylie bought the tickets, Devin went to grab the food and drinks, me staying back with Josh.

"First time?" Josh smirked, rocking back on his heels slightly.

I nodded, "Yeah.. I never had friends, but you guys seem really nice."

He smiled and tugged on his sleeves slightly, "Same goes with you. You're a good guy. Just... Remember to pick the right friends, okay? I'm not going to tell you who you can and can't hang out with, because that's not fair, but just choose the right people."

"Thanks, Josh." I smiled, moving to help Devin with the drinks.

Kylie handed each of us our ticket and I stuffed mine in my pocket, handing one of them my drink and the other my popcorn.

"You guys can find seats, I'll be back," I turned and heading to the bathroom, "Please and thank you!"

After doing everything I needed, I made my way back to the cinema we were in, not before bumping into someone, of course.

"Sor- Ryan," I frowned up at him, "What're you doing here?"

He raised an eyebrow, "Buying gifts for Christmas. What do you think?"

I felt my cheeks heat up, "Right, okay. Um.. What movie are you seeing?"

"The only good one." He answered simply, a small smile playing at his lips.

I chuckled slightly, "You have fun with that, and have a good night."

"You, too."

I started walking past him, then looking back to see Kuza and Franccesca standing there, both glaring at me.

It was more than obvious that they were protective about Ryan, but it did piss me off the way they were looking at me. I wasn't going to lash out and swear at the guy, I didn't have a reason to. Maybe they were just really close friends, I don't know. But I didn't like the looks I got.

I saw Kuza say something, then point to me.

I ducked my head and quickened my pace, just so they could no longer see me.

I may be happy about being in public with friends, but I didn't like it when people talked about me behind my back. Especially ones I didn't know. Whatever Kuza said, though, certainly got a reaction out of Ryan. It wasn't big, but it did result in multiple people turning their way.

Luckily, I made it to the cinema before anymore attention could be drawn to me. After all, I didn't need three people out to get me. Especially not those three.