Chapter 13 | Realisation

At the sound of a knock on my door, I looked up from all of my books and dropped my pen. I watched as Jenna walked in, a hand behind her back.

I closed the textbook I was reading and pushed the rest of my books out of the way, allowing her to sit at the end of the bed.

Jenna was dressed nicely. She usually was, but this time she was a lot more formal.

She never told me about any girlfriends, but she did tell me that she had a girl on her mind.

Being gay myself, I didn't have a problem with Jenna being into girls. After all, it'd be pretty damn hypocritical for me to not like her sexuality when I'm the exact same way.

"Where are you off to?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Out," She grinned, "Now close your eyes."

Frowning, I did so.

"I know you've been helping out your best since you moved in, and so has Devin. I planned on you coming down the day you told me everything that happened at your school," She grabbed my hand, "And since then, I've been putting money from my jobs, and money from extra things to the side to get you and Devin something you guys both need right about now. Now," She dropped something cool in my hand, "You have your license, right?"

I nodded, trying my best to hold back a shit eating grin.

She nodded and ruffled my hair before standing up, "Don't let Devin be a hog, and don't be one yourself. I'll be back around ten, or tomorrow morning. Don't trash anything either, Ricky."

With that, Jenna left the room, eventually leaving the house.

If I'm honest, I'm surprised she even bought us a car. Though I am grateful.

Seeing as how Devin was out with Kylie, I decided to have the first drive in the car. I already knew where I wanted to go, anyway.

| | |

I knocked on the garage door, waiting a few seconds before opening it more and stepping under it.

I had never been in here. Then again, when would I have gotten the chance to? I knew Ryan worked in a garage, but I didn't think that he actually knew all the shit about cars. I was actually surprised when I saw him leaning over the open hood of a car and working on a few things.

Leaning against one of the shelves, I watched as Ryan did... whatever it was he was doing.

I didn't pick him to be a mechanic, but, if I'm honest, he suited it. He didn't look half bad, either...

After dropping a tool to the side, Ryan stepped back and wiped his hands, only just noticing me when he turned away from the car.

"Jesus Christ," He muttered, shaking his head, causing me to chuckle.

"Did I scare you?" I teased, stepping away from the car.

He glared slightly, "No. Wait, how do you know where I work?"

I grinned, "Secret."

"Creep."

"That's rude."

"Bite me."

"If that's what you want."

Ryan rolled his eyes, laughing with slightly red cheeks.

"Aw," I cooed, "You're blushing."

"I'm not... It's just really hot in here," He said, walking past me and towards the small sink he had.

"Uh huh," I rolled my eyes, following him, "What ever you say."

After splashing his face with water and rolling his sleeves up, Ryan turned back to me, a bottle of water in his hand.

"How've you been?"

I shrugged and jumped up on to the counter, "Good, I guess. Jenna bought Dev and I a car... How about you?"

Shrugging, too, Ryan leaned against the wall, "As good as I can be."

It was silent as I looked around the garage.

Ryan worked on a fair amount of cars, that's for sure. For a single worker, he looked like he didn't do a bad job, either.

Turning to look past Ryan, I noticed a small room with a single bed on it, sheets and covers thrown messily on top.

It never occurred to me that Ryan didn't have a real home. This was his home... I knew that his parents were no longer around, but I would've thought they would leave him some place to live. Not a garage.

"You live here..." I mumbled, more to myself than him.

Ryan sighed, nodding, "Yeah, I guess."

I looked to him, frowning, "Do you even have any other place apart from here?"

He shook his head, "No."

"Ryan, you don't-"

He cut me off, "This is the best I've had in a long time. I don't need you telling me things I already know."

"What about food?" I questioned.

"I have enough money to last me a few weeks at the most," He shrugged as if living like this was okay, "I'm doing just fine."

He turned around and made his way to his 'room'.

No one should have to live off of a few hundred dollars and a single bed. Not even Ryan. Why could he think this was okay? I get that he's young and has been through more than a lot, but he can't call this a home. I won't let him.

I quickly followed, "Ryan, if you want, you can... If you want to..." I bit my lip, "You can always stay with me, if you want."

With a shirt in his hand, Ryan froze and kept his back to me, "I... I can't."

He unbuttoned the rest of his shirt and replaced it with a tank top, not caring that I was watching his every move.

"Please," I moved forward, "You can't stay here until we graduate. Not even after."

Ryan finally turned back to me, shaking his head, "I work here. I sleep here. This place is all I have. It's all I'll ever have, too. Besides, it's better than nothing, right?"

"Not at seventeen years old," I protested, huffing under my breath, "You can still work here, I promise. Just, please... let me give you a place to stay. Jenna and Devin don't have to know. You can stay in my room until they're asleep, and then we can do whatever we want. Please, Ryan."

Truthfully, I was asking for too much out of him. First I wanted he and I to be friends so he wasn't alone, and now I want him to move in with me so he has an actual home. Why is it that in shows they make teenagers all bold about this, like it's the best thing that could happen? I wasn't bold. I didn't think it was the best thing, but I couldn't let him stay here. No matter how immature people liked to think I was, right now was one of my weaknesses. I didn't know if it was even remotely close to a good idea, but I wanted Ryan to wake up to something other than a room that smelled of fuel and dirty car parts.

--

A/N: Also, I forgot to mention it in the last chapter, but thanks for over 2K!! Honestly I can't believe this has gotten that many reads with such little parts.. Thanks~!
xxx