Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

I dusted off my clothes, and wiped the blood off of my face. "You feeling better?" Ray asked. "Mhm." I nodded feverishly. "A lot better. I guess vegetarianism is out the window now though." He laughed, "I mean, at least these are free range humans." I smiled in response. "Human..." I murmured, thinking. "I'm not... Human any more. What a strange feeling." At this, Ray threw his arm around my shoulder. "You get used to it. Plus, you can still fit in pretty well." He retracted his fangs to prove his point. "Oh, dude, you've gotta teach me how to do that." I said, as it dawned on me that I knew very little about what I was in for. "Right," he nodded, "it's not hard. It's just like how cats retract their claws. You just focus on it, like how you think about curling your fingers, and you just do it." I ran my tongue across my fangs carefully, concentrating. I took a deep breath and thought about what Ray said, and I felt them retract easily.

"Nice work, newbie." Ray grinned. "Now, we should probably get out of here before they," he paused, nodding in the direction of our, uh, guest, "wake up." I muttered an agreement, and we headed in a different direction.

As we walked, I noticed the foot traffic on the streets steadily increasing. There were a lot of little kids out all of the sudden, walking around in little groups. My first though was 'wow, I'm glad I just ate. I'd hate to go berserk on a bunch of kids.' It wasn't until one bumped into me, a little girl about 8 or 9, looked up at me, and straightforwardly asked, "Hey, what are you supposed to be?" That it hit me. It was Halloween. It was my birthday.

At this realization, I couldn't help but laugh. Ray glanced at me with concern, probably for all the kids around. By now, I was gasping for air. "Dude, what is it?!" He asked in a slightly panicked tone. "Ray..." I snickered, "It's my birthday. It's Halloween!" His eyes grew to the size of saucers, clearly questioning my sanity. I had mostly regained my composure at this point, but I still had a big grin on my face. "Frank, are you gonna explain yourself or am I gonna have to go find a straight jacket somewhere because I-" I cut him off. "It's Halloween Ray!! I get to be a vampire, for Halloween!" I exclaimed.

Ray stopped dead in his tracks. He eyes me for about 10 solid seconds, before looking down and gently cradling his face in both his hands. "Oh god..." He groaned, muffled by his hands. "I have created a monster. UuuuuggghhHH." He sighed, exasperated, while I burst into another fit of laughter as we walked.

--

Not wanting to risk being overheard while we talked, we found ourselves walking around a graveyard, and settled on the stairs of a mausoleum in the center.

"Listen, Ray." I said as we sat down, the mood between us growing more serious. "I owe you big time for this. I actually don't think I can ever thank you enough. I... I know that you can only do this once, and you did it for me without any hesitation. That means a lot." I smiled gratefully. An embarrassed blush was creeping up his cheeks, and he gave me a goofy grin. "It was really no problem, Frank. You're my best friend, of course I wanna help. Plus, it's not hard to see that you and Gerard are totally in love, man. You'd go crazy if something happened to him."

Now it was my turn to blush. "I don't know about lo-" I started, but he interjected, clapping his hands. "Well, I do! You two have got it so bad. So.... so bad." He dramatically sighed, shaking his head. "Plus, if we all make it out of this shit show alive, we can hang out for like, ever!" I nodded, thinking about how nice that sounded. "Well, I guess we'll have to then, won't we?" I said. "Once all this is over with Gerard's family, we'll do everything we can to help you. I promise."

At this, he quickly leaned over and basically tackled me, enveloping me in a huge bear hug. "Thanks so much, Frankie." I smiled, wrapping my arms around my friend in return. After we broke apart, we both stood up. I looked at Ray, my heart breaking as I realized it was time for us to head out. "See you on the flip side, man." I said. "Damn straight you will."

We made our way to the edge of the graveyard, and stopped. "So, uh, anything else I need to know?" I asked. He crossed his arms, thinking. "Hmm... Let me think... Ok. One, eating does get easier, but try to have someone more experienced with you, if at all possible. You don't really have to do it often, maybe once or twice a month. Two, youre extra fast right now, and extra strong. Try not to let normal people see you doing crazy superman shit. Three, garlic and silver are myths but holy water is not. Stay away from that mess. Uh... Don't get shot or staked. Oh, and I love you man, but if you hurt Mikey, I am gonna be forced to lay you out." He gave me a saccharine smile and winked. I laughed half-heartedly, and nodded. "I'll look out for him if we cross paths." I said quietly. He responded with a genuine smile. "Thanks. That means a lot, dude. And I've got to meet with some others from the rebellion in New York, but I'll hurry back, and help if I can."

As we climbed over the graveyard fence and walked our separate ways, I turned and waved a final goodbye, hoping that this wasn't the last time I'd see my best friend.

--------------------------------------------

vamp!frank is canon hallelujah am I right?? also #pray4ray

Also 11k reads wtf?????? that's like a billion ppl reading this dumb story??? tysm tho

ALSO thank u to everyone who commented on my fanfic alignment chart that was rly funny and I appreciate that u guys think I'm lawful good(ish) haha

Ps if u see any of my dumb errors pls don't be afraid to comment I would like to fix them but am too lazy to edit and am sorely lacking a beta reader (just be nice pls)

until next time my guys

xoxo hannah

--

Hey! If you've already read this chapter and are like "wtf I don't remember the Halloween part" that's bcos I just decided to edit it in. Idk the idea came to me and I thought it was funny, AND it helps keep me on track as far as the chronological aspect of the story. I'm thinking about going back and editing/rewriting this at some point so who knows!! Should probably get it done first though lmao