Chapter Fourteen

.Frank's POV.

Neither of us had moved, but I felt the whole world shift beneath me. The weight of what I'd said still sinking in.

In all honesty? I'd wanted to be a vampire since Gerard first told me about who he was. I couldn't help it, but the idea seemed more appealing the more I entertained it. I wasn't stupid; I knew there were risks and consequences and pain involved. But, all things considered, I would much rather be sort of dead than completely dead.

"Gerard I know it's hard for you but-" I started. "No! No, Frank, you don't understand. You have no idea the hell I've been through because of this. And to willingly and knowingly put you, the person I care the most about, through it? No way. No chance in hell." He said, his voice getting steadily angrier.

I put my hands up as a gesture of surrender, but it was already too late. His eyebrows knitted together, and I could see tears of frustration threatening to fall from his hazel eyes.

"Frank, I've spent years being constantly terrified. Constantly in pain. Being this, being me, has ruined all the relationships I had, and it has made my life so fucking lonely. I'm miserable like this. Some days I-" he cut off, his voice breaking. He closed his eyes for a moment and seemed to steel his resolve."Somedays, I think about just telling my parents, so they'll kill me on the spot and I can just be done with all of this." He whispered.

His words hit me like a blow to the chest. How had I not seen that in him before? I felt like an idiot, making him dredge up some of his most painful feelings, just to try and protect me. It broke my heart all over again, seeing him so open and vulnerable and hurting.

"Oh, Gerard." I wrapped my arms around him, practically sitting in his lap so as to properly hug him. Only this time, he made no move to hug me back. He just sat there stiffly, the rise and fall of his chest still slightly ragged.

"Gerard...?" I whispered, my unspoken question, 'are you okay?' lingered on the tip of my tongue. Before I could actually voice it, Gerard stood up abruptly, sending me scrambling to find my balance on the bed. I looked up, unable to keep the look of surprise and vague hurt off my face. Not that it mattered, because Gerard's back was to me now, his arms wrapped around himself.

I tentatively reached out to touch his arm, but he jerked away as soon as I made contact. I heard him sigh. "Look, Frank... I know what you must be thinking. About how cool and great and whatever it would be to be a vampire. But it's not. It's not. I think- I think I'm becoming a bad influence."

I felt dread begin to blossom in the pit of my stomach. "Gerard, what are you trying to say?" I asked, part of me not wanting to know the answer. He didn't reply immediately. Instead, he turned towards me again, looking deep in thought. After what seemed like hours of watching him struggle through some internal argument, he sighed and offered his hand. I took it, and he gently pulled me into a standing position, and proceeded to wrap me in a hug. I cautiously reciprocated, fearing that he would flinch back again.

He took a deep breath, and finally spoke. "Frank, I'm sorry. For all of this. Thank you so, so much for helping me. But I've been selfish enough." At this, he broke free of my embrace, and picked up a pen and napkin from the counter. "Here. Go to this address, they'll keep you safe. I'm going to deal with this, and I'll contact you when it's safe for you to go home. Then, you can forget all about me." He finished writing, and gathering what little he had. Once he had collected his things and gotten dressed, he made his way back over to me. I could feel the tears swimming in my eyes, but I blinked them away fiercely. "Gerard, you don't have to do this. Please... don't do this." I said, my voice coming out as a feebly whisper. "I can't forget you, not even if I wanted to."

I heard him sniff quietly, trying to control his own emotions. "I'm sorry Frankie. I... I won't forget you either." He said, giving me a sad smile. I felt his hand cup my cheek, and my eyes fluttered shut. There was a pause of complete silence, so quiet I could feel the blood rushing in my ears. Then, he placed a chaste kiss on the side of my mouth. His hand fell from my face, and I felt his cold lips leave my own. I stayed like that for a moment, unwilling to open my eyes. I waited just a second longer, desperately trying to lock this moment into my memories.

I heard the door click softly, and when I opened my eyes, he was gone.

--------------------------------------------

haha oops :^)

Wow this is like the soonest I've published two chapters so close together lol

Also don't kill me I know my characters cry like all the effing time but so do I so ya can't really blame me.

I've got a p clear plan for this story now, like planned chapter by chapter, so hopefully this will be more of a regular pace! Happy reading ily

.hannah.