Chapter Seventeen

.franks POV.

After making sure for the millionth time that this was absolutely what I wanted, and exploring every possible repercussion, we were both ready. "Does it matter where you bite?" I asked curiously. "Mmm... I don't think so. But I've head that it's over quicker if you bite this particular spot." He said, poking the side of my neck. His touch was cold, and it sent goosebumps up and down my skin. "Okay," I said, trying to commit that to memory so I could write it in my notes on the paranormal. "Wait, how come I've never noticed how cold you are?" I wondered. At this he snorted, "I... You're never gonna believe me." "Try me." I retorted. He laughed, shaking his head. "I may or may not keep pocket warmers on me. At all times." He said, giggling. I couldn't help but to crack up at the thought of Ray stuffing his coat full of the little pocket warmers. Once we had stopped laughing, I sighed and sobered up a little, thinking about what was ahead.

Suddenly feeling a little selfish, I looked away from him. "So... You're sure you wanna do this for me? I know you only get like, one go." I said, studying my feet. "Of course, dude. You're my best bud! If this is what you want, I'm on your team." I looked up and smiled at him gratefully.

"Oh, and uh, you're not gonna, like, lose control and kill me, right? Because I would so come back and haunt your ass if you did that." I quipped. He rolled his eyes at me. "What do you think this is, Frank, amateur hour? Of course not. I hang out with humans all the time, and you especially are great at being a klutz all the time and scraping yourself up around me. And I haven't killed you yet, have I? I put bandaids on your wounds not even 2 weeks ago, for gods sake!" I put up my hands in surrender. "Okay, okay! Point taken." He grumbled in response, sticking his tongue out at me. With nothing left to say, I took a deep breath.

"Let's do this, Ray." His face grew more serious, and he nodded, stepping closer to me.

"Now, Frank, seeing as we're both gay, having a dude's mouth on your neck probably isn't a huge deal. But I'm still going to formally extend the customary 'no homo,' since, for one, you're my best friend, and two, while you are cute, Mikey is much cuter." He said, his mouth now right under my ear. "Hey! That's no-" I started to protest indignantly, but cut myself off with a gasp, feeling his fangs suddenly pierce the soft skin on my neck. The next thing I felt was a white-hot burning sensation, and then I blacked out.

--

Pain was the only thing I felt. It came on in a matter of seconds, starting at my neck and engulfing my whole body. It was the only sensation that crossed my mind. If you had asked me my name in that moment, (assuming I could hear you) I wouldn't be able to tell you. All I could tell you was that I was in excruciating pain.

It swallowed me up whole, encompassing all of my senses. Sight, hearing, touch, everything. It felt like I was in limbo, or maybe purgatory.

Time wasn't something I could process either. I'm not really sure how long I was in that state. It felt like days. Maybe weeks. It sucked.

Intermittently,  amidst the haze of pain, I faintly felt a sense of hopelessness, right on the edge of my consciousness. This feeling was so overpowering, it felt like nothing could have possibly come before this.  Maybe it was all I had ever known. Maybe it was all I would ever know again.

--

At some point, I registered that the pain was ebbing. Slowly, definitely slowly, but it was. Finally, I realized I could feel my body. My toes and fingers first, quickly followed by my arms and legs, then my torso and finally my head and face. Next came my other senses. It was still dark, but I could hear and smell. It was more than that, though. I felt like I could hear and smell everything.