Chapter Four

.Frank's POV.

I checked the time on my phone several times, waiting impatiently for Gerard to arrive. I most definitely wanted to talk about what happened today, but I was also just excited to get to know the mysterious boy a bit better.

As if he was reading my thoughts, the doorbell rang, so I rushed down to open it. Gerard was standing on our doormat, fidgeting every few seconds and looking quite nervous and small.

After a few seconds of staring at his shoes, he mumbled a quiet, "May I come in?" And I realized I was standing in the doorway. "Yeah, yeah sorry!" I said, stepping aside. He shuffled in nervously, glancing from side to side. "So... This is your house?" He questioned. "Yup. It's not much, but my room is definitely the coolest part. Come on!" With that, I grabbed his hand, dragging him up the stairs with a brief hello to my mom.

We stood at my door, and I nervously pushed it open, praying he wouldn't be freaked out. My walls were entirely covered in paranormal themed posters. I had self-assembled "ghost traps" cluttering the corner of my room, along with assorted charms, gems, silver bullets, and tiny vials holy water lining my dresser. I stood next to Gerard, surveying it proudly. My room was the shit.

I stole a quick glance at Gerard, and saw that his eyes were huge; with awe or shock, I wasn't sure.

He surveyed the room in silence for several more moments, then he spoke. "Do you... hunt paranormal creatures?" He asked quietly, his voice unsteady. I blinked in surprise. "I- Woah wait, you believe in this stuff too?" I asked excitedly. "That's awesome! Normally people just tell me I'm crazy, some people have even called me 'Spooky Iero,' but I kind of dig it in a way y'know, 'cause of Mulder and-" "Frank!" He snapped suddenly, cutting me off. "Do you, do you kill things? Is that why you have all of this?" He asked, looking vaguely ill.

I inspected him a little closer after that, because, woah, he really did look ill. He was pale; paler than normal it seemed, and he had the expression of someone who'd just been punched in the stomach. "Do I- wha- no, no!" I said hastily, shaking my head. "I don't kill anything, ever! I'm a vegetarian!" I said indignantly, crossing my arms. "These things are mostly... for precaution, honestly. I'm an investigator, not a murderer. I just wanna help out whoever's having the problem, whether they be human or otherwise. Besides, I've never... Actually had to use any of this before." I said, feeling myself blush.

"But I'm not crazy. I know these things exists." I mumbled, studying my shoelaces. After a moments thought, I looked back up at him, meeting his eyes. "You don't think I'm crazy, right?"  I asked, suddenly wondering if this wasn't a terrible idea. At this, he snorted. He actually snorted. "Not in the conventional sense." He said quietly, seeming to have relaxed somewhat.

I smiled, still feeling the warmth on my cheeks from earlier. "Hmph. Whatever." I grumbled jokingly. "I am sorry if it freaked you out or something though. I know it's a bit... much." I conceded. "No, it's okay. I kind of like it. It's... unique." He paused. "You're unique." Gerard said softly. "I... Oh. Thanks." I felt another small smile forming in the corners of my mouth. "Do you like paranormal stuff too?" That question earned me a strange look. "It's... complicated."

That response raised more questions than it answered, but I didn't push. "So, do you wanna sit down?" I said, walking over to my bed. He looked around cautiously, eyeing the holy water for a minute. Finally he walked over, and sat cross-legged on my bed.

Unsure what to say, I looked idly around. "So... What was today about, in the bathroom?" I asked as casually as I could manage. He looked down at his scuffed up chucks before muttering out a response. "Uh, my brother and I don't really get along. We don't talk anymore." I nodded thoughtfully. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did you two have a fight?" I asked. "Yeah, something like that. That's not really the reason anymore." Gerard mumbled, a far off look in his eyes. I wanted to ask more, but I had no idea how. I'd never even met Mikey. But with one look at Gerard, his eyebrows knitted together in fear and worry like that, absolutely crushed me. I just need to make him feel better, somehow. I hardly knew Gerard, but already I felt myself starting to warm up to him. He was... intriguing. More than that, he just had such a sad air about him. This was such a stark contrast from the boy in the hall that day, I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and protect him, the fact that he was several inches taller than me be damned.

After a couple of minutes of careful though and analyzing all the ways in which it was probably not a good move, I took a deep breath and tentatively took his hand in mine. It was just as cold as last time, maybe colder. I looked up, and saw his eyes widen again. We just sat there for a little while, staring at each other. Finally, as the silence was threatening to wonder into awkward territory, I braced myself, and spoke. "Gerard, I know I don't really know you that well. But maybe that's a good thing. I'm not going to judge you for... whatever it is you've got going on, or anything. I just... Want to help somehow." I looked away, nervous for his response. After a pause that seemed to stretch itself into oblivion, he sighed softly. "I want to, Frank. I really want someone to talk to, more than anything in the whole world. I just... I know you'd hate me." He said. I glanced up, and his eyes were starting to fill with tears. "I don't want anyone else to hate me." He whispered softly.

In that moment, he looked so terribly small and lonely. I moved forward on impulse alone, pulling him into a tight hug. Not surprisingly, his body was just as cold as his hands--  it crossed my mind that somehow, that fact made him seem even more lonely. I heard a small gasp next to my ear, and his body stiffen in surprise. I waited patiently, hoping I hadn't just made a total ass of myself. Finally, after the initial shock, I felt him shift as he timidly put his arms around my waist, and buried his face in my neck.

We stayed like that for a little bit, as I was afraid that if I moved he would panic again. After I was fairly confident he wasn't going anywhere, I sighed. "Gerard," I whispered, "I really... really don't think I would hate you." At this, he hugged me even tighter, pulling me close enough to feel how badly he was shaking. I didn't dare to move, sensing that he was struggling to reach a decision. After what felt like several minutes, I heard him heave a deep, sorrowful sigh. "...Okay." He said softly, his voice shaking as badly as the rest of him. "I'll tell you."

---------------------------------------------

Hey guys wow I am so sorry for not updating. Between school and work I've been swamped!! But I'll update regularly from now on. :) (lmao @ past me ur such a liar) thank you guys so much for the reads and votes!!
.Hannah.