Chapter Ten

.Frank's POV.

"Your... house?" I asked, confusion clear in my voice. "Why are we going to your house?" That- and a thousand other questions- ran through my head.

What was so bad about going to Gerard's house? I mean, I hadn't really thought much about Gerard's home life, other than his weird relationship with his brother. I knew they weren't really on speaking terms, and I knew that none of his family knew the truth about Gerard. Wow. How do you keep that from someone for so long? I thought. If I were in that situation, my mom would probably be pretty understanding. She's all about creepy stuff. I smiled, thinking about the X-Files posters that covered her bedroom walls. Love of the supernatural definitely ran in the family.

We walked side by side along the sidewalk, with me sneaking the occasional glance at Gerard. He looked even more pale than usual, (if that was even possible) and vaguely ill. Trying not to make a big deal about it, I slipped my hand into his and gave a reassuring squeeze.

After a few minutes of walking in silence, Gerard stopped abruptly, in front of what looked like an incredibly average house. I gave him a questioning look.

"Yeah, this is it." he said, looking like he was desperately trying to compose himself. "Gerard, we don't have to do this." I told him. Truthfully, I was getting worried. What could make Gerard act like this? He sighed, gripping my hand tighter. "No, you need- I need you to see this." By now, we were standing on the steps of the plain brick house. It looked... nice.

The windows had clean, white shutters that perfectly matched the picket fence surrounding the small, manicured yard. There were a few bushes and flowers precisely placed on either side of the sidewalk, with a welcome mat in front of the door, that read Our Happy Home in large, swooping scrawl. Overall, it was the kind of house that you really wouldn't give a second glance to.

Gerard looked over the house one more time, before turning to face me. We stood silently for another moment, until he suddenly pulled me into a tight hug. In the cool evening air, his touch caused chills to creep down my spine. "Please don't let this change what you think of me." he whispered, just barely loud enough for me to make out. We stayed like that for a minute longer, then he untangled himself from me and pulled me inside.

The bottom level of the two story house was almost completely dark, aside from a lamp on the coffee table, casting long shadows across the room. Trailing behind Gerard, I half-whispered, "Are your parents home?" Glancing behind him, he replied, "No. They uh, work most weekends." I nodded, and continued following him through the house. "What about your brother?" I asked. "Is he here?" He sighed, gripping my hand a little tighter. "He works with my parents."

The bitterness in his voice was unmistakable. So much so that my step faltered slightly, curiosity getting the best of me. "What do they do?" I questioned. Instead of answering, he lifted up a framed picture of what looked like a younger Mikey, with a man and woman on either side of him, hanging from the wall.

Underneath, there was what looked like a number pad for a safe. He proceeded to punch in several digits, then glanced back at me. "Uh, Frank, you might want to take a step to your right." he said, cocking his head to the right as he spoke. I side stepped and he hummed in satisfaction.

Gerard pushed one last button, and I heard the clanging and grinding of metal on metal. I looked up in surprise, and saw Gerard's jaw clench. "This is what those assholes do." he said, as the floorboards I had stood on seconds ago separated, revealing a flight of stairs to an unseen lower level. "I would say
after you, but I don't want you to impale or shoot yourself on accident." he said, and before I could ask one of the million questions racing through my mind, he stepped forward, and was swallowed in the darkness.

----------------------------------------------

hello darkness my old friend. I'm back! sorry it's been forever, it's finally summer so hopefully I'll have more time for this. this was definitely a filler chapter, so the next one won't be! as always, thank u guys for reading and voting, it means a lot! til next time, killjoys.

.Hannah.