Chapter 28 (unedited)

Start from the beginning

I wait a few more moments and when nothing happens, I continue walking away. My heart tugs at every step I take to the opposite direction of where my Mate is. My heart and Wolf told me to turn around and get back to him even though this was just a plan. Jay was somewhere nearby but he wasn't about to risk everything. He needed to stay by and observe everything first.

When I cross a main road, I start to feel more worried. I was going way more far than expected. What if Liam decided to camp on the other side of the pack territory? I only came this way because it was where I was caught by the Dark Moons pack. It was where I had last seen Liam and his group of friends.

About five minutes into crossing to the other side of the main road, I notice leaves break nearby. I pause and turn around glaring at the darkness around me. I internally groan when I think of how easy it would be to get murdered here. I wonder if Jay even followed me out this far.

When I start walking again, a bit faster, I hear several pairs of feet suddenly getting closer. My heart beats quickly and I turn just as a hand goes around me. With a shout, I turn and kick whoever it is and aim for the next person close to me. Arms grip me all over my body and I find myself being shoved to the ground. I squint past the darkness and remember each of the faces lingering over me. They were all my friends or acquaintances at one point.

I'm totally surprised when Liam leans over my face even though I was expecting to see him. I mean, after all, this entire plan was to kill him. I force tears to gather in my eyes and I start to play the act.

"Liam," I cough out. One of the rogues grab my thigh a bit more tightly and now I regret Shifting a few moments before against my scrap with Joe. I hide the wince I want to express but I keep my eyes solely locked on Liam.

"Beautiful Natalia," he says. His hand moves out and I hide my disgust from him. His hand caresses the side of my face just as the rogues let go of me.

I get to my feet as they slowly back away leaving me and Liam alone. They don't walk away too far from us though something I find conflicting. I needed a better space from them but this was better than before. Looking up at Liam, I finally get to see him up close now.

He looked the same as always. His hair was combed to the side and he seemed much bigger, his muscles, than the last time I was able to talk to him. Not to mention, he was also shirtless and only in a pair of shorts. I didn't feel comfortable around him at all.

"They took us," I cry out wrapping my arms around him. "They took Kasin and Kerin! They are dead!"

Liam's hands wrap around me and I try so hard not to shudder. They crawl over my bare body. My Wolf didn't like this at all and so did I. I wanted Jay here- no I needed him. I push him deeper into my subconscious though so I don't mess this up.

"Hey," he grips my chin and yanks me up. "Let's get out of here."

I nod and wait for him to let go. When he doesn't and his eyes darken, I make the mistake of gulping, the sound audible through the dark night.

He growls pushing away from me. "You smell of someone else."

"One of the guards was hurting me," I explain quickly. "He tried to mark me and I fought him off to get here."

He doesn't seem to believe my words and I feel myself getting tense, which is something that goes noticed by Liam. Warning bells go off at the back of my brain. Liam was smart, he was probably figuring what was going on right now.

His eyes glare into mine and I fight to keep my stare with him. If I moved my eyes away, he'd know that I was lying exactly. I keep my eyes with him for a while until he sighs and grips my arm, tugging me along with him.