Part 22: Selfish And Conceited

Start from the beginning

"This is ready for a shave Songbird, it's going to look untidy if you don't do it soon."

Tattooed fingers reached up to grip mine, pressing them father into his scalp as he smiled gently at me.

"Then do you think you'd be willing to do it for me?"

"You're a grown man Songbird, you can do your own hair."

I sneered at him and pulled my fingers back, turning away from his teasing grin to pick up the empty wash basket and make my way over to the door, stopping to look over my shoulder at the male who hadn't taken his eyes from my form.

"Get some work done and then we'll talk."

I turned back and walked into the shop, shifting myself upstairs to the apartment where I dropped the basket carelessly in the bathroom before glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I looked... tired. I grumbled to myself before walking to stand in front of said mirror and pull at one of my panda eyes, looking at the dark ring in full detail. I suppose I have been pretty sleepless lately with all that's been going on. I've been in the world of ghouls for as long as I can remember... they have pretty much always been in my life, but not like this. I know they are dangerous... but what isn't? Most things in the world are dangerous, humans are just more aggressive towards ghouls because we are not at the top of the food chain any longer... such a selfish and conceited species we are... but survival is always a species' top priority regardless. I help ghouls to achieve that survival, everyone has a right to live after all. But I've never come across a ghoul... anyone really... that's wanted me dead just for the sake of it. But can I really call it cruelty when this Bull Horn is merely looking out for his organisations members? I have no clue who he is or what he looks like, so I'm no threat to him. He's just looking out for his... family? No, I wouldn't call it that... but he needs the members to continue hunting and killing humans for survival. No... not survival... fun. They are killing for sport... like fox hunting. A selfish and conceited species they are... I grumbled to myself before stepping away from the mirror and digging through my deep pockets to fish out my phone, scanning through the list of people before stopping once Renji's name was highlighted blue and hitting the call button before pressing the phone to my ear. It rang once... twice...

"Yeah?"

"Hey Renji, can we meet up for a bit?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I swirled the coffee around my cup as I stared down at the milky contents, avoiding the look I knew I was receiving from the steel eyed ghoul in front of me. He seemed to be guarded the moment I walked through his front door, being confused when I declined his offer to meet me at Anteiku but rather his place where it was quieter and no one would over hear us.

"You don't have to glare at me like that you know."

"Then give me a reason not to. Why are you here Eve?"

"Kind as always I see..."

"Eve."

I sighed heavily before leaning back onto the bed, one of my hands supporting me as I took a sip of coffee to moisten my throat.

"I don't want you to get involved in the fight with the Gaiji."

Renji grunted to himself before placing his mug down with a sigh.

"So you spoke with Kouga then?"

"Yeah."

"And?"

I shrugged my shoulders and lent forward to place down my own mug beside his.

"And nothing, I just don't want you involved in a battle that doesn't concern you."