Part 3: We Enjoy Tearing People Apart

Eve's POV

I stared down at the phone number in my hand, I had probably memorised it by now from how often I read over the numbers before sighing and stuffing the crumpled black business card back into my pocket. 2 days ago before Uta left my morgue he gave this card to me, telling me to call him anytime. But what occasion did anytime come under? Because I wanted to talk to him? Because I was bored? Because I had a new corpse in that he may want? When? I sighed heavily and ran my fingers through my duo coloured locks, scratching the back of my skull in aggravation. This man had left an impression on me upon our first meeting, granted we didn't speak but I noticed his dress style instantly as he stood out as much as I did. There was something about him that I couldn't understand, and not just because his facial features remained apathetic most of the time.

"Eve?"

I turned toward the deep voice to view the silver haired male stood in the doorway of my autopsy room, a smile creeping up my face as I stared down the familiar stoic man with a fold of my arms.

"Renji, ever heard of knocking?"

The silver haired man ignored me as he entered the room and handed me a piece of paper. I rolled my eyes and took it from him before reading what was written. It was a note from Yoshimura with his response of which corpses he wanted from the list I sent him.

"Stocking up?"

The male merely nodded at my question. Same old Renji. I had known him for around a year now and he's still as silent as ever.

"You know you can talk to me right? Geez, I'd get more conversation out of this guy."

I banged on the table behind me that held the body of a man I was currently working on. A gunshot to the head; murder-suicide. Tragic. I stared into Renji's steel eyes before I sighed and gave up, knowing I'd get no response before I walked over to the counter and plopped the paper down before leaning over it with my elbows resting on the cold steel to read over the 4 names written on it again.

"When are you guys picking them up? Clearly you can't take all these today by yourself."

"No. I'll be taking one today, tomorrow a friend and myself will be returning for the others."

"Alright. I'll be sure to have them ready. Do you need assistance chopping them again?"

"No thank you."

"No?"

I blinked lightly, Renji never usually declined my offer to help. Whenever he came for the corpses we'd use this exact room to chop them down to fit in his bags; having a cup of coffee afterwards before he left.

"Uta and I will take care of it."

I stared up at him with a risen eyebrow from the tone of his voice, it seemed as though he was slightly confused himself at the sentence he just said. Uta was the friend helping him tomorrow? Did he not normally help out with corpse carrying? I suppose not; his personality didn't really seem to fit the delivery boy role.

"Alright then, guess you won't need me with songbird helping out. I'll keep out of your way."

"Songbird?"

"Oh yeah. That's my nickname for Uta; his name meaning song and all."

"He was here?"

"Yeah."

"When?"

I tilted my head lightly at the male, confused by his sudden inquisitiveness and squared shoulders.

"Well, he came with you guys last week."

He stared down at me with hard eyes, I sighed lightly noticing he wasn't in the mood for my joking around as I walked over to my autopsy table and picked up a scalpel; examining it's sharpness.

"He came by 2 days ago. Apparently he was hungry so I gave him a jar of eyeballs."

I ran the sharp blade deeply over the full length of the males forehead, streams of blood flowing out and onto the cotton I had placed under his head previously.

"Was that all?"

I turned to look at the older ghoul, confused by how talkative he was all of a sudden. Why so chatty?

"Is there significance to this?"

"Yes."

I pressed my lips into a thin line and shrugged my shoulders at him before placing down the thin blade, resting my hands on the table; either side of the dead males head.

"I'm going to need more information then that Renji."

"Uta normally hunts humans rather than taking their already dead flesh."

I blinked lightly at the ghoul's blunt statement before turning to look back at the man on my autopsy table, blood running down his temple from the incision I had just made. I smiled a little and kicked a bucket under the head of the table before gliding my hands up the cold face, sinking my fingers underneath his skin and muscle tissue and pulling swiftly; effectively scalping the corpse with cold blood flowing over the ledge of the table and into the bucket.

"That's good to know. Thank you Renji, I'll keep it in mind."

I smiled at the male who responded with a nod before he left the room, my eyes turning back to the scalped man on the table who was dripping blood over my table and flooding the bucket underneath.

'We enjoy tearing people apart.'

"Dammit Songbird was right... Guess I'll give him a call sometime."