Chapter 28

Chapter 28

My eyes flutter open at the sound of somebody moving things around. My eyes sting as I open them, from crying. I rub them and a brown haired nurse blurs into view. She smiles at me apologetically, her blue eyes soft.

"Sorry if I woke you, I was just checking his vitals." She explains and I nod.

I look over at Keaton, the color in his face has still not returned. 

"I'm sorry if I'm in the way." I say, stretching my arms.

"Oh it's alright, the doctor already came in to check him out." She says, her smile sympathetic "Nobody had the heart to tear you two apart." She says and a lump forms in my throat.

I clear my throat "Is he um- is he getting better?" I ask

"He is actually. His vitals are stabilizing, which is very good news." She says, writing something down on a notebook. I smile at her words

"That's good!" I exclaim and she nods, leaving the room.

Keaton is going to make it, I know it. He's strong. His vitals are improving, he's going to make it. I look up at him, his eyes closed, his chest moving with his breaths.

"It's going to be okay." I say, moving his hair out of his face, placing a soft kiss to his cheek.

"Rachel." I hear Wesley say, I turn to see him standing in the doorway.

"Yeah?" I ask, not wanting to leave Keaton.

"Your mom is here, your friends left when she showed up." He says and I nod

"Thanks for telling me." I say, looking back over to Keaton.

"He looks better." Wesley says, walking to Keaton's bed.

I can tell he's scared for Keaton just by looking in his eyes.

"He is, the nurse said his vitals are stabalizing." I say and Wesley smiles

"He's a strong kid." Wesley says, sitting on the edge of his bed

"Where did you sleep last night?" I ask and he shakes his head

"I slept for about an hour on one of those chairs, Drew knocked out next to me." he says, taking a deep breath "My mom and dad haven't been able to sleep, we just convinced them to leave and get some food." 

I nod my head, noticing how Wesley takes in his brother. 

"I'm gonna go get some food myself." I say, standing from the bed and Wesley nods, not looking at me.

"You want anything?" I ask

"No thanks, I'm fine." Wesley says.

I begin to walk towards the door, when Wesley's voice stops me

"It means a lot you're here. To all of us, especially Keaton. I know he appreciates it." 

I wipe a tear from my eyes "It's no problem." I say and leave the room.

I go into the waiting room, Drew isn't there. I guess he drove them to go eat, my mom sits in one of the chairs, a magazine in her hand.

"How is he?" She asks, once she notices me

"Better." I say and she nods

"Do they know what happened?" She asks

She doesn't know he over dosed, do I tell her?

"I'm uh not sure." I lie, she nods.

If I tell her the truth there's a chance she'll think of him differentely, which I don't want.

"He's going to make it?" My mom asks, I avoid looking into her blue eyes.

"I don't know." I say and she takes my hand and and squeezes it silently.

We sit there for a long time, completely silent. My mind swims in oceans of worries and troubles but I keep it inside. That's always been my problem, being an introvert, keeping everything bottled up until I explode. Wesley comes and joins us, sitting silently next to us.

His eyes are red and swollen. Without saying a word, or so much as looking at eachother, he places his hand over mine and I cling to him silently. So we sit there, holding hands, completely silent. Waiting for news, good or bad.