Chapter 12: Dad Talk and Ice Skating

Sunday, August 31

I had to wake up earlier than usual since I made plans with Ally and Sophie for later. I need to make sure I keep running every Sunday because I know if I miss it even once it’s going to be tough to get back to it again. After I took my run I went to shower and then had breakfast with my dad. 

My dad and I hadn’t talked much these past few days since he’s been coming home at different times with his shifts not staying consistent so he wouldn’t even do anything before going to bed and sleeping till he had to wake up again for work. That’s probably why he’s been bombarding me with all these questions this morning about school and friends. 

“Have you turned in that project for English yet?” he asked. 

“No it’s due on Tuesday but we have it all done and ready to turn it in” I said. It was mostly true except for the part where I said ‘we’ to make my dad happy since I already told him it was a partner project and he wouldn’t be happy I told him I had to do it all by myself. I know I told Aiden to do his part but after he yelled at me in the hallway and the whole Chelsea thing I knew he wasn’t going to do it. After Ally and Sophie left yesterday I just sat down at my desk and finished it to get it out of the way. 

“That’s good to hear” my dad replied and then looked at his food. Uh-oh that was a dad move and when I say dad move that’s what my dad does when he has a very father-like thing to say or ask me but doesn’t want to say it. I usually help him out in these situations to make him feel less awkward especially since he’s going to say it anyways. 

“What’s up dad is something bothering you?” I asked using my signature line whenever these situations come up. 

“Well I would just like to know if you like a boy or are dating anyone I should know of” he said a little tense. It’s actually quite funny to see him like this. But I know my dad means well and it makes me happy that he cares about me and wants to know these kinds of things. Other dads probably lock their daughters in their rooms if they talk about boys or tell them they can’t date till they’re thirty. 

“I know you don’t really have a female role model to tell these things to or ask for advice but I’ll listen. I don’t know about the advice part though since I would probably tell you what all the other dads say and wait till your thirty” (Told you so) “but I rather you be able to tell me then go behind my back and sneak out of the house just to see your boyfriend”

“Dad get to the point” I said already knowing where this was going but the truth was I liked hearing that my dad say all this because it showed me how much trust he has in me. 

“Ok what I’m trying to say is that I allow you to date as long as I know who he is and get to meet him soon in the relationship” my dad finally said.

“I know I gotcha dad” I knew when I was finally in a relationship with a guy I truly liked I wouldn’t hesitate to introduce to my dad and if the guy wants the relationship as much as me he will agree to it if not then it won’t be long of a relationship now would it. 

“So is there anyone I should know about at this moment?” my dad asked still on the same subject. 

“Nope” I say and continue eating my waffles. Technically I hadn’t lied since Aiden is in the past and there was no other guy I was interested in at that moment. I don’t even want my dad to worry about Aiden since it was my own fault for trusting him so this was just one those things I couldn’t use my dad to lean on.

“Ok but just know I’m here if you need to talk especially since your m–” 

“I don’t want to hear anything about her see left us ok and we’re doing just fine and I have other people to talk to so don’t worry about it dad. I’m going to meet up with Sophie and Ally later” I yelled. I hated exploding on my dad like that especially when he’s just trying to help but sometimes the topic of my mom just gets me on edge.