Chapter 9: Water Works with Confessions

Sunday, August 24

I did my usual Sunday routine. I slept half day and woke up to have breakfast with my dad. Then I went out for a jog and realized I was getting out of shape. I used to be in track but I don't think I can pull that off anymore since I'm not as energetic as I used to be and way out if shape. I also used to do tennis. I wonder if they have a team at this new school maybe I could try-out and get back into shape but I blame it on moving all the time I think it's sucking the energy out of me. When I got home I took a shower and checked my email hoping to see a message from Jess and there it was. I wanted to help her in any way that I could so I felt a little better when I saw that she finally wrote me back.

Hey Abbs sorry I've been stuck at the hospital and hadn't had the chance to get back to you. Plus I didn't want you to freak out but I guess you kind of are anyway. Well, I'm ok now so no need to worry since I'm back in the comfort of my own home, room, and bed. Oh how I hate hospitals. Talk to you soon. XOXO -Jess

After I read it I decided to call her since it needed to know what happened. I wasn't buying any of the "I'm fine" shit. Because every girl knows when a girl tells you she's ok she's really not.

"Hello." Jess said in a flat tone when she picked up the phone.

"Hey Jess what's going on how are you feeling?" I asked trying not to sound worried.

"Fine." Bull-shit but I let her continue, "My mom's been watching me like a hawk 24/7 and I haven't left the house ever since I got back from the hospital on Friday." She informed.

"What happened?" It was really hard not to sound worried when in reality I was so worried I wasn't even fooling myself.

"I got in a car accident. I was driving home with a lot going through my mind and the next thing I know I wake up in the hospital." She explained.

"Well why were you driving with so much on your mind? If you would've written me back we could've talked about it and went through together. What if the accident was a lot worse and you had serious injuries or w- ?"

 She cut me off knowing what I was going to say and she didn't want to hear that, "I know I'm sorry I didn't write to you but I just wanted to be alone."

"You don't need to apologize I get it. But I felt like I couldn't do anything from all the way in North Carolina and I just wanted you to talk to me so will you talk to me now?"

"I guess but I think it will be better if I emailed you so you get every word since there will be a very excessive amount of water works."

"Its fine we can cry together." I said as I lied down on my bed knowing this was going to take a while but I had time.

After I talked on the phone with Jess for three hours of her just emptying her heart out to me I knew everything that happened and all the different emotions she's kept bottled up inside. I let her talk the whole time and sometimes we just sat in silence so she could calm down and catch a breath. I found out that Jack left a note explaining everything he's been through and how he couldn't handle it anymore. He wrote about Jess and how she was the best thing that ever happened to him and he loved all the time they spent together which helped him forget about everything else. The last thing he wrote: "I love you but don't be afraid to move on and live life without me". I hope that letting everything out helped her lift that weight off her shoulders even though I didn't say much I knew she just wanted me to listen. 

"I'm always just a phone call away if you need to talk." I finally said after another long moment of silence.

"Yeah I know." She sniffled. "Talk to you soon." Then she hung up.