Throughout The Years

•Brinley's POV•

"Will you marry me?"

His voice rings in my ears and I stand in shock, not sure of what to say. I put my hands over my mouth as i stare at Justin before I look down at the ring. I feel a lump forming in the back of my throat as certain memories with him come back in flashes.

-

"Hey Brin?"

I glance over at an 8 year old Justin as we play around in our tree house. He's drawing in one corner and I'm playing with my dolls in the other.

"What's up?" I ask him and he sets his coloring book aside as he looks at me.

"You ever kissed someone before?"

"On the cheek?"

"Nooo silly. Like.. here.." He points to his mouth and I scrunch my nose as I shake my head.

"Ew no Justin that's gross."

He quickly agrees with me and it's silent for a while before I slowly set my doll down and look at him again.

"Have you ever.. ya know.. kissed someone?"

He shakes his head and shrugs as he looks at me.

"I see old people do it all the time. My mom says it's what people do when they like each other."

"Don't they care about cooties?" I ask and fix one of my dolls hair.

"I guess not. Ryan said cooties aren't real though.. He kissed Britney the other day.."

"Britney is mean. Why her?"

"He said he just wanted to get it over with." He says simply and I nod in understanding as he starts crawling over to me. I stare at him as he's now sitting in front of me, looking straight at me.

"I mean um.. If kissing is what people do when they like each other, why don't we do it?"

I consider it before I shrug and smile nervously.

"You like me?" I ask making him laugh.

"You're my best friend, Brin. Of course I like you!"

I smile big at him seeing him do the same back.

"Well I guess we could try it. But no one ever knows, ok? Promise?" I ask and hold my pinky out to him. He nods and intertwines his pinky through mine.

"Promise."

We stare at each other for a second before he leans in and kisses my lips for less than a second. When he pulls away we both giggle like crazy and I lean back against the wall.

"It wasn't so bad." He says and I nod in agreement.

"I don't think I have cooties so that's good." I say and he laughs as he crawls back to his coloring book and we continue on like nothing ever happened.

--

"Justin! Pleaaaase let me watch my show now. We've been watching sports center for like.. forever."

"It hasn't even been half an hour Brin."

I huff in defeat and crawl on his lap; his attention now on me instead of the tv. His hands rest on my hips as he looks up at me with an amused grin on his face.