Birthday Girl

•Justin's POV•

Brinley's birthday.

Also her last day in California.

I wake up early the next morning to make my baby some breakfast in bed.

But I can't cook so Vanessa is helping.

I start stirring the pancake batter like she told me to while she works on the hash browns and bacon.

"So um.. This is gonna be awkward but I have to talk to you about it because if I don't then I wouldn't be a good best friend." She starts and I glance over at her not knowing what to expect.

"Ok.. Go ahead."

"Look I totally approve of you and Brinley. You guys are the cutest things and when you look at each other it's with pure admiration and love.."

Love.

That damn word.

"It's just.. Basically, if you even hurt her just a tiny bit I'm chopping your dick off and selling it on Amazon."

My eyes widen and I quickly look over at her seeing her avoiding eye contact as she casually works on the hash browns.

"I.. Definitely won't hurt her. And not just because you threatened but because I.. I.."

My throat feels dry as those three words threaten to slip from my mouth. Should I finally admit it? Is it too soon?

"I know. You don't have to say it if you don't want to." Vanessa says and I swallow hard as I nod and go back to cooking the pancakes.

"But uh.. Since we're talking, did Brinley ever say anything about me before we started dating?"

"Nothing ever romantic if that's what you're wondering. Everyone in town knew you guys hung out before you got famous. Carson and I actually forgot about it but we were in her room and I noticed this picture she has on her wall of pictures. It's of you and her when you had your floppy hair and everything. It's pretty cute."

"Really? She has the picture in her room?"

"Yep. She has a thing for collecting pictures with people and memories she wants to remember."

I smile at the thought while flipping the pancakes. Little does she know I have the same picture hidden in my room as well. I brought it when I moved out of Canada and I've kept it ever since.

I guess Caitlin was never the one for me. I should've noticed Brinley was more than just my friend but I was blinded by the "puppy love" I thought I experienced with Caitlin.

"She's always talked about you with respect though. She's never trashed you, and she'll defend you if someone says something stupid or hurtful about you. She's always used kind words, even though she gets sassy sometimes."

I laugh at that because it's so true. Brinley is one of the sassiest people I know.

"Vanessa I'm gonna tell you something only because I can't tell my guy friends without sounding like a little bitch.."

She laughs and looks over at me while I put the pancakes on a separate plate and then turn to face her.

"Go for it." She says and I take a deep breath.

"I feel like.. Fuck I'm already sounding-"

"Justin stop worrying about that. Just tell me. It's ok to be emotional." She reassures and I let out a breath as I slowly nod.

"I just.. I feel like it's too soon in our relationship for me to be feeling how I feel for her.." I start off and Vanessa stares at me waiting for me to continue. I swallow hard and finally just let it out.