The Nutcracker (History)

Synopsis: The night before the premiere, Y/N gets told that if she can't land the couple move with YiJeong that she will be replaced with her understudy. Determined, Y/N practices with her crush YiJeong who so graciously offers his help. Will the night go smoothly? And was YiJeong just being nice or.... ;)

~~~~

"1,2,3. 1,2,3," I whispered to myself as I listened to the music. My feet matching the beats of the orchestra pit, I twirled in a circle, balancing on the tip of my foot, trying to maintain my balance. My hands were swinging around as I spun to help me gain momentum and stay upright. I then stopped and leaped across the stage to the main male lead. With one foot pointed and behind the other, his arm was outreached to mine as I grabbed his hand and danced with him. We were so lost in the music and focused on this moment that I smiled unknowingly. 

We then stopped and prepared for the hardest part of the dance. Where I ran and he catches me, bringing me up above him as he spun around. We have had difficulty perfecting this move because of me. When he lifts me up, I need to try to put as little weight as I can on him but no matter how many times I try, I end up falling. 

Nervous, it was time to practice the move. I looked at him and after breathing out for a second, I ran hoping that it would work. With every ounce of strength I could muster, I lept into his arms. He had caught me but the hardest part was far from over. He then tried to lift me above him but I lost my balance and fell at the last minute.

"Cut!" The director yelled. The main lead caught me at the last minute before I fell, making me embarrassed as his arms held me by the waist. He then put me down and I immediately bowed toward the director as she came up onto the stage. She huffed, getting frustrated at me for not being able to make the move. She placed her hands on her forehead, rubbing her temple to calm down before addressing me about the situation.

"Y/N," She started, looking at me. I gulped. "I know this move is hard but we need you to land it. YiJeong has been doing his part in catching you but you need to make it easier for him." I glanced over at him to see that he was looking down. I shifted my head back. "The opening night is tomorrow and if you fall on opening night... we are going to have to switch you out." She stated flatly, making me bring my head up in shock. 

"B-But!"

"No buts, Y/N. You have had more than enough time to get this down. Get it done by tomorrow or we are using your understudy." On the verge of tears, I held it in as she continued. She then turned to the rest of the cast. "Okay, everyone we are done for the night. Go home and get some rest and be here early before the show so we can fix some last things. See you all tomorrow on opening night!" The cast cheered, excited for our first performance of the year. They all started to disperse and get their things to go home. I, however, stood on the stage, wiping at my face and determined to get this move down. I turned around to practice once more when YiJeong stopped me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, being careful with his words. I quietly nodded. I looked up at him and smiled a bit.

"I am sorry. It's my fault that she got mad at us. I will get it down by tomorrow I promise." He gave me a small smile in return. I could feel my cheeks heat up as he did so. He then moved his other hand to mess with the hair on top of my head, being rough with it.

"It's fine. It is a hard move and she has been really hard on you since the beginning so I get it." He stated, being more understanding than I thought he would be. He then moved away from me and grabbed two waters from the side of the stage. He came back and handed one to me. I took it shyly from his hand and opened it to take a drink. I then tied the cap back on and held it in my hands. I looked around to see that we were the only two left in the theater now and I started to grow more nervous. I kind of had a thing for YiJeong to be completely honest. He has always been nice to me since the beginning and has helped me every step of the way. It's just the way he is and I like him for it.