Chapter Thirty One

Nala

[Excuse any errors.]

"Bernie?!" I playfully scolded my lil sister as she kept dipping her finger in the cappuccino muffin batter we'd made, eating it. It was past her bedtime but she begged so, here we are.

"Yummy yummy yummy!" she sang licking her finger and making me laugh.

"You're a mess." I shook my head, " Pass me the muffin pan please." I asked licking a bit of batter that was on my hand as she gave me the already greased pan, which I thanked her for.

"You welcome." she cheesed as I scooped some of the batter into the tray cups. She tried to steal some batter again and I tapped her hand away, making her pout.

"No Bernie. If you keep eating the mix, what we goin make the muffins from?" I reprimanded her, filling the last of the cups.

"Sowwy." she mumbled through pouted lips and I chuckled. Didn't I say she was a mess?

"And why you sitting there looking like you running through the 6 with your woes?" ma dad came in bein' stoopid as always.

"Ewww Daddy, you need to stop." I told him on his newfound love for quoting Drake. I swear if he sees Drake he goin' prolly die.

"Stop hatin." he directed to me as he went over to Bernie's side, "What's wrong princess?"

"BeeBee mean to me." she huffed, pulling a more pronounced pout.

"Tell me something I don't know, you know she get it from her momma. She a mini Meanie." he pulled a ugly face tickling her and she giggled as I rolled my eyes, smiling, putting the pan in the oven.

"Who's a mini what now?" my lady came in with folded arms and my daddy froze up before quickly turning around, my mom approaching the fridge behind em.

"Baby!" he grinned with hip in his voice.

"I'm right next to you Maurice." she referred to him being loud for no apparent reason.

"Sorry baby." he chuckled nervously, "I was just telling princess here what a lovely mother she got."

"No you wasn't." I exposed him as momma set her water bottle on the table with an eyebrow raised at my dad.

"He say BeeBee meanie like you, mommy." Bernie threw him under the bus. My mom gave him the "oh really naw?" look.

"Baby... I ain't say that." he tried to laugh it off, "Bernie just talkin- baby..." he called after her as she left out and I laughed at his worried face.

"Don't make her give you back to the hood." I sang, cracking up more as he went after her. Bernie was rubbing her eyes hard, letting me know she was sleepy.

"You sleepy B?" I asked and she shook her head, no, "Wanna wait out in the living room for the muffins?" I asked and she nodded, yes. I scooped her up and we got comfortable on the couch as I ran my hand through the space between her cornrows while singing her favorite tune.

Not even 2 minutes in and she was totally out. I carried her to her bedroom and went into mine to get my phone. Walking back to the kitchen,  I checked my notifications and I had a text from Jayceon.

My Bear♥: Wyd. Im missin you already

I chuckled at this, sending him an eye roll emoji as he was being a baby right now. Almost immediately I got notification he was Facetiming me. I answered, releasing a huge sigh and eye roll as he came on.

"Oh, is that how you greet your man now?" Jay questioned like he was hurt, making me suck my teeth as I sat the island in the kitchen.

"You are such a baby, you know that, right?" I raised my eyebrow at him as he gasped, clutching his chest in faux shock.