Chapter Ten

Fox

[Excuse any errors.]

"Oh stop it, dzaddy... You like dat, papa?" I heard her say between giggles. I groaned in response. I don't need to be sitting through this right now. Especially not at this time of the night, plus I gotta come up with this friendly letter for Ms Greene.

I closed my book and dragged myself off of my worn out bed, the springs' cries testifying their condition. I walked out to her room. I heard her tell him to hush as I stood infront of her door, thinking of the right words to say this.

As I was about to knock on the door, it flew open and his presence overwhelmed me in all the negative senses of the word. I dared to look up at him and this monkey had a huge Joker-grin on his face.

"What's the matter, son?" he gritted out, maintaining his "smile". I looked back into the bedroom which was filthier than a bum's toenails. My eyes met hers and she quickly scurried off the bed, tying up her supposedly pastel pink robe.

"Pa-", she stopped mid-sentence as I looked at her, "Robbie, leave the child alone. Let me handle this." she told him and I looked to him to see his reaction. I guess I must have had that crazy scowl on my face cause his face hardened.

"Whatchu lookin at, boy?" he gritted out, traces of a smile long gone. I was frozen in place and couldn't say nothing. She came up in front of him as he balled up his fists and took a step towards me. I wanted to run but somehow my feet wouldn't let me. I was sick of this.

Everyday he comes here and does as he pleases. Pops left me in charge, not him.

I'm the man of this house, not him.

"Robert, calm down, please. Get back in the room and let me talk to him. Please." she pleaded and he held her gaze for a minute before working back into the room. She closed the door and sighed out loud before turning to me with a choreographed smile.

"Why's he here again?" I questioned, finally getting my voice back. She walked off into the kitchenette where dishes were starting to pile up. I followed her as she opened the fridge and got out a can of beer. She opened it and took a swig before placing it on the kitchen counter.

"Look, I don't have to explain myself to you. You are a child. I am the mother. What I do and don't do is none of your goddamn business, you hear me? So, it's either you get the hell outta MY house and follow your good-for-nothing, deadbeat father, or you get in your room, stay there, and shut your asshole." she just about yelled. Before I could say anything she came up to me and cupped my face.

"I love you, Jayceon, but I will not have you disrespecting me or my lifestyle. So if you're too good for this, well honey, get to the going and don't you ever set your foot in my house again, you hear me? I don't like what Robbie does sometimes but bills gotta be payed, sweety. So, get with the program. " she gritted out, mushing my face and went off into her room, not before retrieving her can first.

I stood there, thinking of my next move, for a second. We used to be happy.

Where did we all go wrong?

I scrunched up the piece of paper and threw it at the trashcan in the far corner - miss. It landed on the floor with all the other paper. I sucked my teeth and got up to put them all in the can.

I was currently at the school library and I was tryna write a letter to Janet. I know, who writes letters anymore, right? But this was all Rita's idea. She was talking all this shit bout handwritten letters being more sentimental and shit, I don't give a fuck. I don't need to be showing her any sentimentality... buh I'm doing the shit anyway.