Chapter Sixteen

[Excuse any errors.]

Fox

Squeaky floors. Sterile rooms. Packed waiting rooms. Crying mothers. Sick children. Dying people.

Man, I fucking hate hospitals.

We was up in here for 3 hours straight and we ain't getting shit from the docs or the nurses. We'd called Mike's parents in and came over with Al, Lollipops and Nala's parents.

The nurse had checked on Gabi and confirmed that she was unharmed. She now sat with Lollipops in the corner with her head on her lap. Ms Alicia was consoling Mike's mom next to them. They'd been praying ever since they walked in them doors. The men stood across the room in silence, and I was seated with Nala layed against my chest with my jacket over her as she played with my hands mindlessly.

We hadn't been able to get the full story from Gabs cause of her state so we had to wait till the cops came by. In the state that she was in, they weren't goin use her as a witness yet. Buh they informed us that someone had told em that 4 guys had came into a convenience store Gabi and Mike had just turned up into, and just started shooting up the place. They didn't take no money or nothin but the cops suspected it was a robbery gone wrong. WTF?

I'd texted the boys back home on this shit cause it wasnt sittin right with me. How are some random ass niggas goin walk up into a store, shoot up the place and not take shit buh be suspected of robbery? This was clearly an attempted murder, buh of cause, his a nigga so ain't nobody give a shit.

"Babe..." Nala voice pulled me outta my thoughts. I hadn't realized that she was now sitting upright looking at me with her hand resting on my lap.

"Wassup?"

"Imma go get some coffee, you want some?" she quizzed, pursing her lips. I shook my head, no. She nodded and asked the others if they wanted some and the ladies weren't for it but the men asked for some. She got up adjusting my jacket on her shoulders, getting her purse off the floor, and I got up too to help her out.

We made our way into the cafeteria in silence. We got our shit and I decided I did feen for some coffee. I paid for everything to her disapproval buh we both now we ain't about to get into it right now.

We got back and handed out their shit. We settled back in our seats with our cups. The shit that was going on with Mike right naw was too damn suspect. Of cause it is but them bitch ass muhfuckers weren't goin try to actually go after the criminals. They were just brushing this under the carpet.

I sucked my teeth and finished up my coffee. When Nala was done with hers, she presumed her previous position, and just as she laid her head on my chest, 'the family of Michael Washington' was called out.

His parents scrambled to the doctor as we all followed behind them. The 20-something looking Caucasian doctor looked over his glasses at all of us and Mike's father assured him that it was okay. He nodded and took a glance at the clipboard he had.

"Well Mr and Mrs Washington, your son suffered 5 gunshot wounds to his back. Two of the bullets made clean exits through his torso but the other three... well they didn't look so good-"

"Will you tell us what's wrong with him already!?" Gabi spat, shocking the doctor buh he could tell from our faces that we were with Gabs on this one. I was damn near punching this nigga and reading that shit for myself, shit.

He cleared his throat before continuing.

"One of the bullets hit his left kidney and we were able to stabilize that situation. The other two hit his spinal vertebrae at 2 different locations. One of them wasn't a problem to remove and didn't do much damage, unfortunately, the second hit is still lodged in his spine and he might be paralyzed from the waist down. I'm sorry but Michael may never walk again." he apologized as Mike's mom and Gabi were bawling at the news. Mr Washington consoled his wife as Rita and Ms Alicia did Gabi.