Chapter Fifteen

Nala

[Excuse any errors.]

*hides face with her hands.* Okay, let's not talk about that day cause we got more important stuff like... today being my birthday! *does the Shmurda* Yess glitches, I am 18 in this $@₩*€!

Wow! I can't believe how life is turning out for me right now. Everything is just sooo good.

As you know, I'm having a lunch for my whole family then we're having a full blown party with my friends. Don't worry, all them grown folks will hang out at my dad's afterwards so we youngins can let loose!

My dad was the first person to wish me a happy birthday this morning. He called at 00:00 on the dot in his groggy sleeping voice, singing happy birthday while yawning loud ass hell in between. I can't with him.

The calls and texts kept coming in as my notifications just filled up on social networks too. I decided I'd wait till tomorrow to read and thank them all as they were just too much.

Right now it's 09:26 and I need to go get me some food. The sounds that are coming from my stomach are not human at all.

I got up from my bed, slipped into my robe and slippers, and made my way to the door. In the hallway, I could here Bernie's voice as she whined and complained about something. As I came nearer, I smelt heaven and that's exactly what I saw once I made it into the kitchen.

Momma was taking some fries out the pan and Bernie was seated on the counter facing her. She saw me walk in and started screaming while clapping her hands, almost making Momma burn herself with the hot oil as she cussed under her breath at the fright she got.

I laughed at both of them as Bernie hopped off the counter and ran up to me. I lifted her up as soon as she clutched her arms around my legs.

"It's your birthday, sis!" she screeched, as I walked over to the island and placed her on it. This kid is heavy.

"Really? I don't think so." I scrunched my face up and her eyes became wider and she covered her mouth in shock. She then glanced back at my mom with what I could have sworn was a mug before turning back to me when she saw she was busy.

"Mommy lied!" she whispered with her eyes widened. I also widened mine in faux shock. She nodded her head, yes, like those old women who be gossiping bout people at church. I had to really fight the urge to laugh at her dramatics.

"She say it your birthday so I can't have cake." she pouted before her eyes widened in sudden realization, "Mommy, it not BeeBee's birthday! Can I get the cake?!"

Momma and I looked at each other and burst out in laughter at this lil girl. She did her usual and also joined in when she clearly had no idea of what was so funny. Ahh, I love her.

"It is my birthday, silly, and I'm not gonna give you my cake cause you didn't wish me a happy birthday or give me a kiss." I pouted and folded my arms, looking away from her. I felt small hands gripping the sides of my face as she placed multiple wet kisses on my face.

"Happy birthday, BeeBee! You the best sis in the world!" she screamed as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I grinned as I pulled her into a hug. My mom stood by the stove, cheesing at our moment.

"Thank you, Bernie. Go check which cartoons are on right now and I'll give you some of my cake later." I kissed her forehead before letting her off the counter. She sprinted off to the living room as soon as her feet reached the floor. Momma shook her head at her before walking over to me with a wide grin on her face which matched mine.