As the conversation progressed and the train moved speedily into the countryside towards Hogwarts, I zoned out. Draco and I were sitting close enough together that he managed to catch my hand in his without anyone seeing. His thumb stroked across my knuckles softly as the others started on about the homework they'd had over the holidays, and then began betting on how many new Ministry Decrees Umbridge had managed to pass in our absence. I said very little and squeezed Draco's hand slightly. Neither of us were particularly bothered if the others saw that we were together, but every time people got involved, everything gets complicated. And then we go back to putting on the show everyone is so used to seeing, and it isn't really us and we lose what is real. So for now, even I thought that keeping it low key and secret was the best thing for us, despite my desperation to tell someone. I had to tell Nat at some point too - she's my best friend after all.

***

"Kayla. Kayla," a voice whispered in my ear. I shifted a little in my seat and turned into the warm body next to me. "They're all out doing the rounds. I said I'd stay and get ten minutes peace."

I opened my eyes blearily and found myself in the train compartment, the blinds pulled down and the door locked. I arched my back like a cat as I yawned and stretched, then turned to face Draco.

"Mmm, ten minutes peace you say? I can think of a better way to spend that ten minutes," I tempted him, in a husky voice brought on by sleep. I brushed my lips against his and ran a finger down his chest, over his shirt. He moaned into my mouth and pulled his waist to mine, pushing me backwards onto the seat and hovering over me. His hands ran down my arms and waist, inching my top up a little to expose my stomach, and his fingers drew complex patterns over my skin. They then meandered on down to my thighs, where they rested as my hands tangled themselves into his blonde hair, knotting my fingers in it as we kissed. I was hard-pressed to stop when we heard voices pass by outside but I pressed my hands to his now exposed chest, and pushed him away a little. He knelt over me grinning a lopsided smile before helping me up. I decided I'd get my robes on, which entertained him for a while longer; arranging my outfit to his preference, smoothing out my skirt between kisses. I forced myself away from him again, though I could've quite happily stayed there for the rest of the train journey. It was past lunchtime though and the trolley had already been by, so I found my purse and opened the door to go and get food so I wasn't completely starving. As it turns out, I can't just survive on Draco's love - despite what he likes to think.

Draco looked disappointed as I turned to walk out, a pout forming on his adorable face. I shook my head at him sweetly and smirked - I had this guy exactly where I wanted him, as he did I.

"Well, if you aren't staying here with me and putting yourself to any decent use, make yourself useful and get me a sandwich off the trolley, would you love?"

Cheeky bugger. I blew him a kiss and swaggered out into the corridor, hips swaying seductively for his benefit. I paused in the doorway and turned to look back at him, his hair in all directions and his pale face flushed. His shirt was still open at the chest and rumpled from our encounter. Very sexy. But perhaps I should tell him so the others don't work out what went on...

"What you waiting for woman? Get going," he said jokingly, accompanied with a wink.

...Or perhaps not, I'll let him work it out and explain if they catch on. I rolled my eyes back at him as he lounged on the seat and wiggled my fingers in a wave, walking out and away until the last fingertip disappeared from his view.

The corridor was generally empty, it usually was at this sort of time - everyone had had food and were now lazing around gossiping about the other students new haircuts or relationships. Thrilling. I almost skipped my way down past cabins full of other kids talking away happily. And for once I didn't begrudge them for looking so excited; I didn't mind the couple kissing in the corridor, or the First Years that ran past after an escaped cat - I felt the same way. For the first time in a long time I felt right, like everything had suddenly been pieced together and a light had come on. I even smiled at some passing Third Year Hufflepuff boys and blew them a kiss, leaving them fighting over who I'd aimed it at. Merlin, love does some funny things to a girl. But I like it so I shan't complain.