Chapter 31.

Cheerful, Niall came home from work the next day, expecting to find Harry at his flat but he wasn't even there. Frowning, he dumped the grocery shopping down on the kitchen worktops and went to investigate in his bedroom but yet again, it was a no-show.

"Where's Harry?" Niall frowned at Zayn who was standing in the kitchen, eating food. Zayn shrugged and said "Didn't he tell you? He's away to the gym. Said something about Louis wanting to give him a healthy lifestyle to avoid asthma attacks or something like that." Zayn explained and Niall sighed. Of course Louis would do something like that, to avoid him and Niall spending time together, if he ever suspected something. But Niall could play is own game. He was just as good as Louis.

Niall parked outside the gym and headed inside, even though he wasn't dressed in his gym gear; instead he was dressed in a white shirt and black work trousers with shiny black work shoes. He felt very out of place as he was always used to going to the gym.

Niall headed over to the reception to ask for Harry. "Hello, I was wondering if you could help me. I'm looking for a man who came in here today. He has this wild curly hair, big smile, dimples, green eyes and about 6ft? Really fit?" Niall added shyly and the girl behind the desk giggled.

"Yes, I know exactly who you're talking about. Mr Styles just came in with his trainer about an hour ago and went upstairs to the weights." she said fondly and Niall smiled, thanking her and he headed upstairs. He found Harry standing topless at the largest weights, standing next to his trainer.

Harry gripped the weights tightly, ready to lift them above his head when he caught a glance of Niall standing in the doorway and the slightest distraction caused Harry to drop the weights on the floor, startling both him and his trainer.

"Rule number one: Never break focus with your opponent." His trainer warned, grabbing a hold of Harry but Harry shook him off, not taking his eyes off Niall. "Can you give us a couple of minutes?" Harry asked innocently, indicating to the blonde boy standing at the door. The trainer narrowed his eyes for a second before he heaved a deep sigh and nodded, heading into the changing rooms and out of sight.

Dressed in a loose white vest and black shorts, Harry made his way over to Niall, greeting him with a soft "hey" and kissing him forcefully on the lips, cupping his face with his hands but Niall pushed him away with one hand on hi sweaty chest. "I've been wanting to do that all day." Harry pouted, tilting his head to the side with confusion. "Not here." Niall warned, gesturing to the changing rooms and Harry's mouth formed into the shape of an 'o' at the realization of his mistake.

"How was your day?" Harry asked casually, wrapping a pair of boxing pads around his hands. "Same old, same old." Niall shrugged, not really wanting to talk about his work. "Did you miss me?" Harry teased, pouting some more and Niall chuckled. "Of course I did." Niall admitted, punching his shoulder playfully.

“Hey, don’t hit me. Hit the pads instead.” Harry insisted, holding the pads firmly in front of him. Niall took a step back, raising an eyebrow. “You serious?” he asked doubtfully, slipping on a pair of boxing gloves and Harry gave him a blunt look. “Scared you’re not strong enough, Ni?” Harry mocked teasingly and Niall smirked, shaking his head in disbelief before aiming a few punches at the pads, his muscles flexing as he did so. Harry was taken by surprise by the sudden force, completely blown away by the sudden fierceness on Niall’s face and stumbled a few steps back.

“Whoa. You’re good,” Harry admitted breathlessly and Niall chuckled. “I’m trained to be a cop, remember? I know self-defence.” Niall pointed out and Harry smiled weakly. “Sometimes I forget that you’re with the police, because we’re…y’know… dating.” Harry admitted in a mare whisper in Niall’s ear and Niall nodded, a small grin on his face.

“So what is all this then? Why are you here?” Niall pressed, taking the boxing gloves off and folding his arms around his chest. “Louis suggested that it’d do me good. Y’know, it’d help with my asthma attacks and all that shit and it’d give me a better lifestyle or something. He also said it’d control my anger. Apparently I take things at heart and I get…aggressive. I take my anger out on people and Louis said I should take my anger out on sport instead. It’s actually very helpful, it makes me happy. Takes my mind of things.” Harry explained with a shrug and Niall sighed, sitting down on one of the benches. “What?” Harry asked with a frown as he took a sip from a bottle of water.

“I just thought that the only reason why Louis would do this for you was so that we spent less time apart.” Niall admitted and Harry paused, setting his bottle down on the window ledge and sitting next to Niall. “Hey, look at me.” Harry insisted, titling Niall’s head up with his index finger so that Niall was gazing into Harry’s eyes.

“He’s not gonna find out, okay? I’ll make sure of that.” Harry assured him and Niall smiled softly, feeling at ease. Harry pecked Niall on the cheek quickly and let of him, getting up his as trainer walked through the doors.

“It was nice meeting you.” The trainer smiled at Niall and Niall smiled back, waving bye to Harry and heading back to the flat. When Harry arrived home that night, just after dinner, he was dripping with sweat and breathing heavily. Zayn stopped in his tracks, eyebrows raised as he stared at Harry. “Care to explain?” Zayn asked curiously, eyeing Harry up and down. “Been to the gym. Jogged home.” Harry panted, leaning against the chair with shaky legs and grabbing Zayn’s glass of water out his hands and taking a large gulp. Zayn shrugged and walked off to his bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

Niall watched Harry closely, looking at how tired and worn out he was and he felt sorry for him, guilty that he was going through all this just because of his mother. His mother made him ill. Physically ill. What sort of mother would do that?

“Harry, you don’t have to do this.” Niall sighed, walking over to him.

“No, I do. I’m doing this for you.” Harry gasped, cupping Niall’s cheek softly before going into Niall’s bathroom and running himself a shower.

__________________________

Hello, guys. Happy New Year! Happy 2014! What do you think about this chapter? I kept my promise about leaving it a week to update. (I don't really think this was a week, but whatever) Thanks to everybody who's been commenting though, it really means a lot. 20 detailed comments and next update will next Saturday? Also, please stop asking for Narry smut. I'll write it when I feel like writing it, thanks :)