Chapter 29.

Harry awoke the next morning, feeling exhausted. It was actually his own snoring that woke him up from a deep sleep and he lifted up his head, rubbing his tired eyes sleepily. He had a snore neck from falling asleep on the couch the previous night after watching Transformers, but he didn't mind.

The space next to him was cold and empty and he frowned to see that Niall was no longer there. "Morning, sunshine." Niall grinned from the kitchen, scoffing down a bowl of cereal. Harry grunted in reply, never really one for being a morning person. The memories and anxious thoughts of his mother flooded back and his heart started hammering nervously under his t-shirt and faxed anxiously at Niall.

"Lou phoned and said he managed to bring your mum in late last night so you don't have to come into work with me today. Either that, or you can bring Gemma with you." Niall suggested with a shrug of his shoulders. Harry's heart quickened and he gave a little gasp.

He didn't want Louis to bring her in so soon. He hadn't really taken in the fact that it was her who had made his life hell when he left him. It just seemed highly unlikely. The threats, kidnapping Niall...it seemed more like a man’s job than anything. But then again, Harry didn't know what his mother was really capable of. Or, he did. And he was about to find out more.

So after breakfast and they both got dressed, he and Niall headed out. Niall sussed that Harry was silent the whole way through because he was nervous Harry had a thing for bottling his feelings up and not telling anybody about them, even Niall.

Harry had phones Gemma along the way too, begging her to come with him. It took a lot of persuasion as it came to a bit of a shock to her too but after that their morning consisted of a lot of swearing and insults indirected to his mother from a disappointed and ashamed Gemma.

"I've never seen her so angry, it's brilliant." Harry told Niall, amused as they both watched Gemma glowering at the blank TV screen, digging the end of her fork hard onto Louis' desk as if she had been waiting impatiently for a meal she desperately wanted. Gemma still stayed at Louis' house, for a safe place and they seemed to be getting along fine. Well, a lot more than Harry and Louis ever got on anyway. Gemma and Louis surprisingly had a lot in common.

When they arrived at the police station, Harry and Gemma went down to the questioning room. Harry was quite breathless when he entered it, but he ignored the tightening pain around his chest as he saw his mother for the first time after three years.

Niall was by his side, as he had told Louis to question their mother so he could be there for Harry and Gemma. Harry frowned as he stared at his mother. Well, that was not what he expected her to look like at all. Sure, it had only been three years but Harry expected his mother to show some sign of missing her son but no, she looked as stunning as ever. Harry guessed he had just forgotten how cold and heartless she really was.

Her sleek, black hair fell to her shoulders, her ears revealing two white small pearly earrings to match her creamy white blouse. Her blue eyes shone brightly and they weren't red or puffy or looked like she had been having sleepless nights as much as Harry had. To say Harry was disappointed was an understatement.

Harry watched the two way mirror as Louis pushed a few pictures under Anne's face. One of them was of the knife in Harry's apartment, the other was the letter, and the third was of Hannah, from the crime scene. Harry's eyes squeezed shut at the shut and he turned away at the sight before turning back again. Gemma watched him from the side and sat down next to him, linking her arm through his and resting her head on his shoulder for comfort.

"All these pictures link to your son, Harry, Mrs Twist." Louis explained and Anne frowned, her eyes falling in the picture of Hannah. "It's Miss Cox now, and who's that?" Anne added, pointing to the picture of Hannah. Harry and Gemma exchanged confused glances, both of them having second thoughts. Anne was no longer married to their dad, Robin? Well that changed a lot of things.

"You mean, you don't know who that is?" Louis asked, surprised and Anne shook her head. "I never knew she existed until now." Anne admitted plainly, still staring at the picture. "That was your son’s girlfriend before she was murdered, ma'am." Louis frowned and Anne gasped, placing a shocked hand over her mouth.

"Who would do such a thing? She looked such a pretty girl, too." Anne sighed, shaking her head and tutting. Louis paused, staring at Anne silently.

"So you're saying…you know nothing about these threats?" Louis asked, not entirely convinced. "I'm sorry, sit, but I haven't seen my son in the past three years. I don't even know where he lives." Anne sniffed, sadly looking down.

"Do you believe her?" Niall asked, glancing at Harry. "I don't know what to believe these days." Harry admitted. Niall noticed how Gemma had stayed silent, watching her mother with such curiosity and intensity.

"What do you believe, Niall? You're the detective, or the agent." Gemma pointed out and Niall sighed, watching Louis soften by the second as he stared at Anne crying. "Well, I would say I believe her, but...the crying could always be an act." Niall shrugged but Gemma shook her head.

"If there's one thing I know about our mother, it's that she couldn't act to save her life." Gemma explained and Niall nodded. Harry watched as Louis handed Anne a packet of tissues and Anne gladly took them, blowing into them as she cried. “Can I ask you a question?” Anne hiccupped and Louis nodded. “Where is my son?” she sniffed and Louis hesitated a little before answering. “He’s safe, if that’s what you’re asking.” Louis grunted and Anne nodded, looking a little more reassured.