Chapter 13.

Niall lay curled up on the couch, the blanket thrown over his legs on the suite and his eyes glaring at the TV screen. His eyes were fixed, lips parted with concentration as he searched for clues on the news.

He was watching a recorded video of himself being "rescued" by Harry and Sean and Matt arriving, hand-cuffed, some time later. He was looking clues, any sort of clues, that'd answer his questions as to why Sean and Matt wanted Harry so badly in the first place. He knew it was for revenge. He knew that it was because he supposedly killed their best friend but would Harry really do that? No.

A, because Niall was the one that watched Harry cry for days on end from the loss of Hannah and his unborn child.

B, Harry would have to have been at least sixteen at that time if it was true, would he really have the guts to do that? He must have a very good reason if it was true.

And C, Niall wasn't ready to believe that Harry was some sort of murderer, even if it was by accident. In Nialls eyes, Harry was innocent. Maybe because he cared to much about him or maybe because he was convincing himself that it wasn't true. Maybe he believed the lies that Harry told him because he was so stupid.

Zayn walked over to him and handed him a cuppa before sitting down next to him, the leather sofa dipping as he did so. "You're still watching that?" Zayn sighed, emphasising that Niall had in fact, watched it since he was discharged from the hospital which was seven days ago. "It's my job." Niall defending, wrapping his large hands around the hot mug and hearing Zayn scoff in reply.

"No, your job is to get better. Liam will flip if he catches you watching that again." Zayn reminded him and Niall scowled. "Yeah, well, Liam's not the boss of me." He replied sassily before turning up the volume to hear the clear voice of the news presenter.

Zayn shook his head, clicking his tongue before he stood up and walked away, leaving Niall in peace which was the way he liked it. The front door suddenly swung open and Liam came in, home from work. Niall froze, already sensing the tension. "You're watching it again?" Liam asked cooly. Niall didn't know what to say, what to expect. Liam didn't sound angry. Disappointed, maybe.

When Niall didn't answer, Liam exhaled deeply before strolling over to Niall and sitting down. "Niall, how many nightmares have you had this week?" Liam questioned and Niall hesitated before answering. "I've had one every night this week." He answered simply and Liam nodded knowingly. "Right. And do you think watching this is going to help that?" He reasoned and Niall huffed, tossing the remote aside.

"I don't care about nightmares, Liam! I care more about this guy I've barely known for two weeks and he just happened to murder someone!" Niall fumed, glaring at the TV. The room fell silent and Liam and Zayn exchanged stunned glances. "He what?" Zayn gasped, his mouth opened. "Well that's what I've been told." Niall mumbled, watching Louis enter the house five minutes after the two men appeared. "That's it. You're not working on that case anymore." Liam ordered, grabbing the remote and switching off the TV. Niall blinked, gobsmacked.

"You can't tell me how I do my job Liam, that's bullshit!" Niall shouted, turning on the TV. "Niall, if it wasn't for Harry then you wouldn't have gotten kidnapped! You need to let someone else-"

"What, let someone else go through what I did? Watch someone else yet tortured for information? I'd rather not." Niall fumed and stood up, grabbing his leather jacket. "Where are you going?" Liam was first to ask. "Away from you. Can't stand being cooped up in this flat any longer." Niall sighed and headed out before either of them could protest. Since it was nearing winter, it was getting colder so he lifted his collar up and headed down the path.

He slowed down after a couple of minutes and his eyes fell on his work building, where the two men had watched him day on end. He shook his head and walked on, only to bang into someone. "Hey! Watch where you're- oh, sorry Niall." A smug Harry stood before him and Niall blanched, suddenly terrified again and he took a few steps back. "You're not still scared of me, are you?" Harry asked, looking hurt. Niall jumped when Harry's hand pulled at his wrist and he pulled away sharply. "Niall..." Harry frowned, unsure of what to say.

"I gotta go." Niall said quickly and hurried off, leaving Harry confused.

---

The following week, Niall arrived at work first thing on Monday morning. "Shouldn't you still be resting?" Louis frowned, worried about his co worker. "No. All better now." Niall sighed stubbornly, shrugging off his jacket. Louis was genuinely concerned about his best friend. "Niall, I think you should still be-"

"I said, I'm all better all right?! God, what is with everybody!" He huffed, slamming Harry's folder down on his desk. Louis immediately backed away, knowing he probably had enough hard times from Zayn and Liam. "There's someone in questioning for you." Louis announced and Nialls head snapped up. "All ready?" Niall asked, surprised and Louis nodded.

Niall thanked him and headed downstairs with Harry's file, only to be greeted by Connie in the questioning room. She looked bored stiff and when her eyes fell on Niall, she raised here eyebrows. "You're that cop that got kidnapped because of Harry, aren't you?" She guessed and Niall sighed. "You catch on quick." Was Nialls reply and Connie frowned as Niall sat down.

"I have nothing to do with Harry. I don't know why I'm here." Connie said desperately and Niall looked up at her. "So you had no reason to hit the father of Hannah's baby at her funeral?" Niall challenged and Connie's eyes widened. "You were the cop that was guarding Harry?" She gasped and Niall nodded warily.

"I was a little drunk then. I thought drinking would make me forget about Hannah." She explained sheepishly and Niall frowned. "Yet you still turned up at the funeral, knowing Harry would be there." Niall protested and Connie groaned. "Why am I in here? All right, I haven't murdered anyone! Harry is still alive, surprisingly." She added with a chuckle and Niall frowned.

"We need to find out who's making Harry's life a living hell. Someone wants to kill him and we're gonna stop them before that happens. But you...you topped the list." Niall explained and Connie was speechless. "As much as I hate the bastard, I'd never murder him. He meant to much to Hannah." Connie replied and Niall nodded.

"We're still trying to figure out who murdered Hannah too." Niall added, a hopeful look toward Connie who gasped. "You'd think I'd murder my own pregnant daughter?!" She shouted furiously and Niall flinched. "To get back to Harry, yes. If you couldn't kill Harry then you could-"

"Are you hearing yourself right now?! If I wanted to kill my one daughter, why the hell would I turn up at her own funeral?! The only way I got back to Harry is by slapping him in the face!" She yelled, slamming her hand down in the desk and Niall sighed. He automatically believed her. "All right. Thank you for your time Mrs Thomson, I'm sorry for accusing you." He apologised and stood up, guiding her outside. "I'm gonna sue this place, seriously." She huffed, pulling on her jacket and Niall couldn't help smirking, knowing how many times he had been threatened with that tactic but it had never once happened.

"No luck?" Louis wondered when she was out the door, a sympathetic smile on his face. "No, she's innocent." Niall replied and Louis nodded. "I believed her, too." He admitted and Niall gave a quick smile and headed upstairs with Harry's file in his hand.

"You'll get there, Niall. You always do." Louis smiled, squeezing his shoulder and Niall couldn't help smiling gratefully at him. It was nice to see that somebody had faith in him every once and a while.

At lunch, he headed out of Starbucks with a coffee in one hand and a box of doughnuts in the other for Louis and the rest of the team as a thank you for finding him. He was about to head to his works direction when Harry stopped him, pulling him back. "Damn it Harry. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought you were stalking me, too." Niall joked half heartily but Harry's face was serious. "I don't stalk." He answered and Niall sighed.

Niall was now pressed up against the wall, Harry hovering him with his hands pressed on either side of his head. Damn, this is hotter than it should be, Niall thought in his head. "You could probably scream like a girl right now and it'd be pretty ugly." Niall tried to sound confident, but he was shit scared. "That wouldn't work out. I'd just kiss you to shut you up." Harry admitted and Niall froze at his words. He- he what? Wanted to kiss him? Well that was bizarre. Coming from a straight guy. Or was he...?

"What do you want, Styles?" Niall spat and Harry chuckled. "I want you to come to my friends wedding with me...as a date. It's plus one." Harry explained sheepishly, holding out the invitation with one hand still above Nialls head. Niall frowned, looking down at it as he considered it then thought better off it. "I'll go...but as a friend. Not a date." Niall decided and a small smirk appeared on Harry's face.

"We'll see about that." Harry replied, kissing Niall softly on the cheek before cheekily winking at him and walking off. Niall shook off his delightful shivers, the fluttering off his stomach and headed off back to work.

At home, Niall was as confused as ever. He didn't know what to think. He thought Harry was one hundred percent straight, sleeping with a girl and knocking her up and all but just today made him think otherwise and then it all fitted into place. The lingering looks. The constant need to see Niall. The awkward hand touching. Why he left his flat in the first place. Why kisses him all the time.

"Something on your mind?" Zayn asked as Niall was lost in thought as he dumped his bag on the sofa. Niall gulped, giving Zayn an intense look.

"I think Harry is secretly gay."

_____________

Hi guys. Sorry for the long update, I've been busy with an exam and finishing off one of my other stories so I can focus on this one. I'm loving all your comments so far. Twenty detailed comments again? Love you guys, mwah :3 xxx