Chapter 7.

Niall practically sprinted after Harry, desperate to talk to him. "Harry, wait!" Niall called but the younger lad ignored him, heading down the path outside the flat. Niall finally caught up with him, grabbing at his wrist and pulling him around.

Harry flinched, gazing curiously at the Irish lad. "Liam's just being a dick." Niall began and Harry scoffed. "You don't say." He replied and Niall frowned. "He's just a little protective of me, that's all." Niall tried and Harry frowned.

"Why?" He couldn't help but ask. "Because...he's a fire fighter, all right? He doesn't like my job and he sees a lot of crime as much as I do. He knows I can get hurt easily and he tries his best to stop that from happening. But really...he's like a big ball of fluff, he's a softie." Niall explained and Harry snorted.

"Sounds to me he likes you more than a friend, then." Harry frowned because he didn't remember that Zayn person being that protective over Niall. Niall was shocked, to say at the very least. “No, you don’t understand. He’s like a brother to me, he has a girlfriend.” Niall explained, feeling slightly flattered yet puzzled. “Oh. Well, Liam doesn’t seem to trust me anyway so…there’s no point.” Harry shrugged and he began to walk away when Niall stopped him again. “But it’s not up to him to decide. It’s up to me, and I say you stay. At least for a couple of days.” Niall pleaded and Harry thought for a bit. “I’ll tell Liam to go easy on you.” Niall added for good measure and Harry smiled warmly, thanking him.

“Can I get you a coffee? It’s the least I can do.” Niall suggested, seeing as they were outside Starbucks anyway. Harry was about to open his mouth to protest but then paused when he saw a dark figure standing amongst the trees, gazing at Niall’s back suspiciously. “What?” Niall asked, completely unaware of what was going on. “Nothing. Yeah, course. After you.” Harry said quickly, his hand on the small of Niall’s back and Niall beamed, heading into the small café. Harry stole one last glance at the trees, but the figure was gone, leaving Harry a little worried.

When they got in the door, Niall ordered them both a coffee and they both sat down at a round table at the far corner, away from everybody else. They sat in an uncomfortable silence for a while, both of them unsure of what to say. “Are you all right?” Niall frowned, looking at Harry uncertainly. “I’ll be okay.” Harry assured him, flashing him a weak smile.

“You’ll get through it, I promise.” Niall soothed, taking his hands off his mug to reach over to Harry, holding his hands as a comforting gesture. Harry tensed, staring at their entwined hands. He didn’t know. He didn’t know what it was like for someone to care about him. He wasn’t used to it. Or maybe it wasn’t that. Maybe it was the fact that Niall’s hands were so warm that it made Harry’s stomach all fluttery inside. He didn’t recognise the feeling. At all. Harry quickly pulled his hands away from Niall, clasping them around his own mug and Niall coughed awkwardly, glancing around the cafeteria.

That Monday morning, when Niall arrived at work, he dumped a folder on Louis’ desk. Louis jumped, startled and looked up at Niall. “What’s this?” he frowned at Niall, opening up the folder. “Case file. Another suspect. Connie Thomson, Hannah’s mother.” Niall explained and Louis raised an eyebrow. “Connie? Sounds a little out there-“

“She lashed out on Harry at Hannah’s funeral.” Niall interrupted and Louis’ eyes widened. “Niall, that doesn’t mean to say that she’s a suspect-

“It does! She never trusted Harry in the first place, so why not? She clearly hated him, I know it. Maybe she’s the one making his life miserable.” Niall huffed, sitting down next to Louis and Louis gave him a suspicious look. “Wait, how did you know about the funeral?” he asked curiously. “Harry invited me. For moral support. Plus, I went for little more insight in Hannah’s life.” Niall shrugged helplessly, taking a sip of his coffee.