Chapter 17.

Niall closed the door quietly behind him, praying to God that the flat was empty but his hopes were lost when Zayn was sauntering around the kitchen. Their eyes met and Zayn looked down right annoyed. "Where did you go off to?" he asked, sounding inpatient and Niall shrugged. "I walked. Wanted to clear to head." Niall lied and Zayn paused, his eyes studying Niall before he sighed deeply and walked away. Niall was positive that Zayn knew something was up but he didn't dare say anything, being the good friend he was. “Liam would flip if he found out you were out.” Zayn sighed and sauntered off to his room, closing the door shut without another word. Niall pitied Zayn. He knew he must be tired of him by now, the way he was acting about Harry. He knew he was just trying to be a friend.

That night, Harry hung out with his old friend Dan before Dan went off to his honeymoon. They each had a beer in their hands as they played snooker; an old-fashioned British sport. “So…you’re dating him?” Dan asked, hoping for confirmation from Harry, who hummed in approval as he took a gulp of beer. “Are you gonna tell him the real reason you’re gay?” Dan countered and Harry shook his head. “Nope.” He replied, popping out the ‘p’. Dan gave him a look of disgust. Dan and Harry both knew deep down that the only reason Harry was gay, was because of Niall. But Harry was just too afraid to admit that, even to himself.

“I take it you’re lying to him about Gemma’s boyfriend as well, then?” Dan guessed and Harry frowned for a second before he scored a ball in the snooker table. “I’m not lying. I’m just not telling him.” He corrected his friend bluntly and Dan pursed his lips. Harry paused, staring at his best friend. “Now don’t give me that look. He doesn’t need to know. Besides, I don’t wanna hurt him again. I’m pretty sure if I hadn’t told him about these guys, then he wouldn’t have been kidnapped in the first place. So, no, he doesn’t need to know.” Harry finalised and Dan exhaled deeply.

“But he’s a cop. Sooner or later, he’ll find out. They always do.” Dan reasoned and Harry smiled a little bit before it faded again. “Then let him find out. He’ll realise then that he doesn’t want to be with me and that I’m not good enough for him.” Harry shrugged, his heart sinking at his words but he hid it from Dan. “So, you sleep with three different men in the space of a month just to get over Niall, but you’d let him go if he doesn’t love you? You’re one messed up kid, Harry.” Dan smirked teasingly and Harry rolled his eyes. “I do like him, Dan. I really do…I just don’t want him to get hurt.” Harry admitted reluctantly and Dan sighed. “Is that why everything’s a secret?” he wondered knowingly and Harry nodded, moving forward to Dan to take his shot.

The next morning, Niall headed into work, bright and breezy and greeted Louis. Niall whistled tunelessly and Louis sighed, turning to him. “Harry’s in the questioning room.” He announced quickly and just like that, Niall’s mood dropped. “What?” he snapped, his head shooting up. Louis was taken aback by Niall’s sudden change of mood at the mention of Harry, but didn’t bother to question him. “Yeah, I brought him here. Thought he’d be able to help us out with Sean and Matt…” Louis trailed off uncertainly, suddenly feeling self-cautious under Niall’s hard stare. “Sean and Matt are here too, by the way. They’re here for the questioning and Harry’s watching in the two way mirror.” Louis explained, taking a sip of his coffee and Niall blanched, feeling scared.

“You don’t have to question them, I can do that. You can watch with Harry.” Louis suggested and Niall smiled gratefully, heading down to the questioning room to greet Harry. As weird as it sounded, Niall felt safe with Harry. He was the one that “rescued” him after all. Niall’s heart skipped a beat at the sight of Harry as soon as the door closed. Since it was winter, he wore a light brown duffle coat over a blue plaid shirt and light skinny jeans to match his ankle boots. A dark blue beanie was placed over his massive mane, with a few strands of curls sticking out. The fur collar stuck up behind Harry’s neck, protecting him from the cold. Well, damn. Niall just really wanted to cuddle him, right then and now. Their eyes met briefly and Harry flashed him a warm smile when Niall handed him a latte, his favourite. Harry took the cup and took a sip, only to splutter it back out, leaving Niall a little offended. “I still stand by what I said when I first met you. You’re terrible at making lattes.” He said, his voice strained as he wiped the back of his mouth in disgust, placing his latte down on the table.