Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Zephira sighed into the kiss, and kissed Thorin back.

Then she frowned and pushed him away.

"No!" She cried. "Stop that!"

"Stop what? Kissing you?"

"Yes! I mean, no! I mean-" She blinked a few times. "You and your- your stupid... /Stupidness/ making me feel... Feel things I shouldn't be feeling!"

"Am I?" Thorin asked, amused.

"Yes! I'm /so/ confused now, an yore to blame!"

"So, should I stop?"

Zephira swallowed. "/Gods/, no!"

And she kissed him.

-•-

"Can you really read it?" Lucretia asked Nex.

Nex had been forced to see the very witch she was avoiding. "Yes. It was blurry at first, then clear."

She held out the paper, her long nails scratching it's surface. "Read it. Out loud."

Nex nodded once and took the paper. She cleared her throat.

"The one who started it all

The one with the golden heart will fall

For the King of prize and greed

Shall fulfill his hearts most dire need..." She stopped.

"Well?" Lucretia snapped. "Go on! Read the rest!"

Nex flinched. She'd never heard the Mother speak that way before. "I can't. It's smudged. Water spilt on it."

Lucretia groaned and massaged her temples with her fingertips. "Of course. What can you make out of it?"

Nex bit her lip. "Un-unless... She fixes... Something's been damaged, or injured... Shattered, is a bit closer, maybe."

Lucretia made an irritated sound. "So. Someone with a 'golden heart' is starting something. And they'll fall because of this greedy king getting what he wants. Unless, of course, she fixes something." She slumped lower in her chair. "You're dismissed, Nex."

Nex frowned slightly, curtseyed, and left.

Lucretia had never 'dismissed' people before.

She hurried to her tent.

Something was changing.

"Nox? Nox, I need to talk to you. I-" she froze. "Nox?" She looked around their room. She wasn't there. "Nox!"

She rushed outside. "Have you seen Nox? Have you seen my sister? Anyone?! Has anyone seen Nox?"

She ran around their entire camp, but she couldn't find her.

No one had seen her.

"Oh, gods, no." She sat down and put her head in her hands.

-•-

Zephira woke up with her head on Thorins chest, her one hand resting beside her head, her other intertwined with his own.

Their legs were tangled up together.

She smiled slightly.

She nuzzled her head against his bare skin, enjoying the sound of his heart beating.

"Are you awake?"

She sighed. "Yes,"

"Did I wake you?"