Bonus Chapter 9

Okay, I don't know. I really don't.

~~~~~~~~

"Nyx-"

"What?" The witch snapped.

Zephira made a face. "Never mind, then."

"No, what is it?"

"If you're going to be a bitch about it, forget I said anything."

"No, go ahead. /Enlighten/ me."

Zephira paused. "What do you know about Necromancers?" She asked quietly.

Nyx paled. "Why?" She asked. "What are you and those dwarves up to?"

"No! Nothing like that! I heard... I was just wondering. Forget I said anything." She went to leave.

"They can raise the dead."

She stopped. "What?"

"Necromancers. Wizards, occasionally witches, who can raise the dead."

Zephira turned, eyes wide. "You're joking."

Nyx shook her head and spoke gravely. "I am not."

"Why weren't they wiped out? Why didn't we destroy them when we destroyed the other races?!"

"Now /you/ must be joking. Do you really think we'd win a war against someone who can raise the soldiers we killed? They would have an infinite army." She shook her head. "We're lucky, they've all disappeared on their own."

Zephira took a shaky breath.

Nyx looked at her strangely. "They are all gone, aren't they?"

Zephira looked her in the eye. "How should I know? I came to you for answers." And with that she fled the tent.

"Niobe?"

The blonde witch turned towards her and smiled. "Zephira! It's good to see you alive and well."

"One out of two is close enough." She made a face.

"No, no. I see you both alive /and/ well."

"You're seeing me young?"

Niobe tilted her head slightly. "What brings you to me this evening?" She said, not answering Zephira's question.

Zephira sat down beside her. "You- this is going to sound incredibly indelicate, but you're very old, are you not?"

Niobe smiled and laughed. "Yes, yes I am. Older than /you/, at least."

"Well, you look older."

She raised a pale eyebrow. "Do you want to speak with me or not?"

"Sorry. I wanted to ask you what you know about Necromancers."

Niobe's smile slid of her face in a split second. "Why?"

"I'm curious."

"I doubt that."

"What does it matter why I want to know?"

"This is a dangerous topic, Zephira. No one speaks of them anymore."

Zephira lifted her chin. "I do."

"Then you are a fool."

"Perhaps I am."

Niobe took an angry breath, prepared to lecture the younger witch, when suddenly her fave softened. "Oh," she said almost inaudibly.

"What is it?"

Niobe's eyes filled with tears, and her face crumpled then broke, and she choked on a sob.