Chapter 30 - Lucifer Rising

"Dean?"

Leaning against the doorframe to the kitchen, my arms are folded over my chest as I look towards my husband. His back is faced towards the room, him looking out the window as his mind runs at a million miles an hour. Though he doesn't say anything, I know exactly where his thoughts are and the heartbreak that comes along with it.

"Dean." Bobby repeats, sounding slightly frustrated, "You listen to a word I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you." Dean murmurs, his voice flat with his gaze still out the window, "I'm not calling him."

"Don't make me get my gun, boy." Bobby threatens, tired of the drama that is stirred up between the two brothers.

Dean turns around and faces the older man, his eyebrows furrowed angrily, "We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon. Don't you think we got bigger fish to fry at the moment?"

Bobby sighs frustratedly, "I know you're pissed and I'm not making apologies for what he's done. But he's your-"

"Blood? He's my blood? Is that what you were going say?" Dean asks, an eyebrow raised.

"He's your brother and he's drowning." Bobby states.

"Bobby, I tried to help him. I did. Look what happened." Dean says, gesturing around indicating Sam's absence.

"So try again." Bobby says and Dean shakes his head defeated, "No, it's too late."

Dean walks over towards me and I see the pain in his words, knowing that he's wishing it wasn't so. I reach my hand and link a few of my fingers with his own, feeling the same pain as him though probably not to the same extent.

"There's no such thing." Bobby argues.

"No, damn it." Dean says, wheeling around to face him, "No. We gotta face facts."

Pain begins seep through his hard mask as he looks at Bobby, a little bit of vulnerability shining through the bravado exterior, "Sam never wanted part of this family. He hated this life growing up. He ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like déjà vu all over again. Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants."

"You don't mean that." Bobby says and Dean shakes his head, "Yes I do Bobby. Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore. If he ever was."

Bobby looks at him, his face slowly screwing up in anger and he turns away from us. His shoulders heave up and down and he breathes angrily. All of a sudden, his slides his hands across the desk in anger and throws all of the contents into a chaotic mess on the floor. Dean straightens up at the gesture and looks slightly shocked by his outburst, much like me as he wheels around and gets into Dean's face, "You stupid, stupid son of a bitch!"

Dean flinches away from the man's anger as he continues yelling at him, "Well boo hoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt princess. Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good? Bake you an apple pie, maybe?" He questions, his tone belitttling.

"They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" He yells, completely worked up.

Dean's jaw tightens as he looks at the older man, "We told him, 'You walk out that door, don't come back.' And he walked out anyway. That was his choice."

"You sound like a whiny brat." Bobby says and Dean walks away from him, clearly needing the space but Bobby continues on, "No, you sound like your Dad. Well, let me tell you something. Your Dad was a coward."

Dean turns, his jaw tight, "My dad was a lot of things, but a coward?"

Bobby's face is set in a sneer, "He'd rather push Sam away than reach out to him. Well, that don't strike me as brave."