Chapter 28 - The Monster At The End Of The Book

Pulling my jacket tighter around myself, we step into the mostly empty comic book store. Dressed in our FBI garb, we walk towards the front counter where a middle aged balding man reads a comic. He glances up at our entrance, looking slightly perplexed, "Uh, can I help you?"

I pull out my badge at the same time as the guys and address him, "Sure hope so. Agents DeYoung, Shaw and Walker. Just need to ask you a few questions."

"Notice anything strange in the building the last couple of days?" Sam asks, getting right into it.

"Like what?" The man asks.

"Some tenants reported flickering lights." Dean elaborated and the man thinks for a moment, "I don't think so, why?"

"What about noises? Any skittering on the walls, kind of like rats?" I question.

"And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?" The man asks, looking confused.

"What about cold spots? Feel any sudden drops in temperature?" Sam presses, ignoring his comment.

The man looks at us for a moment before his face lights up in a smile, recognition coming to his face, "I knew it. You guys are LARPing, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?" Dean asks.

"You're fans." The man states.

"Fans of what?" Sam asks and I raise my eyebrow, "What is LARPing?"

He gives us a sly smile, "Like you don't know."

We all look at him confused and he explains, "Love action role playing. And pretty hardcore too." He says, gesturing to our get up.

"Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about." Dean says, self consciously checking his clothing.

"You're asking questions like the buildings being haunted. Like those guys and girl from the books. What are they called?" He thinks for a moment before nodding, "Supernatural."

We look at him completely confused and he explains, "Two guys and a girl use fake IDs with rock aliases, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names?... Steve, Dirk and Abbey...? Sal, Dane and Ally...?"

"Sam, Dean and Addison?" Sam queries.

"That's it!" The man cries.

"You're saying this is a book?" Dean asks and the man nods, "Books. It was a series. Didn't sell a lot of copies though. Kind of more of an underground cult following." He turns to the store and gets to his feet, "Let's see."

The three of us exchange a look before following after the man who begins to scrounge through the bargain book bin. He looks through them before grabbing one, "Aha, that's the first one I think." He says, handing me the book.

I look at the over, taking in the two buff men on the front, "Supernatural by Carver Edlund." I murmur before turning it over, "Along a lonely California highway a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths."

"Give me that." Sam says and I hand him the book.

He looks at it for a moment before turning to the store clerk, "We're gonna need all the copies of Supernatural you got."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is freaking insane." Dean says, reading through one of the books as I hold another in my hand, the case where Dean found out about Harlow.