Chapter 6 - Shadow

The impala pulls up and parks on the curb across the street of the apartment where the murder took place. The boys sit in the front seat, dressed in jumpsuits from a fake alarm company. Dean gets out of the car and I follow after him, grabbing the bags that they need from the seat beside me. I begin to open the door and Dean pulls it open the rest of the way. I give him a small smile as I climb out and he shuts it behind me.

Sam gets out of the car, grabbing the bags off of me before looking towards the building, "Alright Dean, this is the place."

"You know I gotta say, Dad and me did just fine without these stupid costumes." Dean mutters, looking down at the dark blue apparel, "I feel like a high school drama dork."

"Yeah, you look like one too." I tease, causing Sam to snicker from beside me.

"What was that play that you did? That-- What was it? Our town." He says as we cross the road and I can't help but laugh at the memory, "Hey, you did good. It was cute."

Sam shakes his head as he looks at his brother, "Look, you wanna pull this off or not?"

"Look, I'm just saying these outfits cost hard-earned money, okay?" Dean states.

"And who's is that again?" I tease with a raised eyebrow.

"Ours. You think credit-card fraud's easy woman?" He says and I roll my eyes, "You guys go ahead, while I go make us some hard earned money." I give them a smirk before walking past the building into a supermarket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I line up the pool cue with the ball, getting ready to take the final stroke. I'm up against these huge jock dudes who cockily thought they could pummel me in a game of pool. Too bad they were wrong. Their eyes widen considerably as the black ball falls into the corner pocket, signalling the end of the game. I smile as I straighten back up, "That's how it's done boys."

They begin to groan as they pull out their wallets, placing the money down on the edge of the table. I scoop it up in my hands and count it quickly before giving them a flirty smile, "Pleasure doing business with you boys."

I turn and see Sam walk into the bar swiftly, and I glance over to see Dean still chatting up the girl behind the bar. I roll my eyes as I make my way over to Sam, taking a seat at the table beside him. Dean comes up beside me and notices the wad of cash in my hand, "Looks like you cleaned up good." He says.

"Someone's gotta earn the money around here, besides they sucked." I say, slipping the money into the front pocket of my jeans.

Sam begins to flick through the journal, pulling out newspaper clippings from the victims. They didn't find a whole lot out today, but they did find a strange symbol marked out in blood on the floor of the apartment.

"Talked to the bartender." Dean says and Sam looks up at him, "You get anything? Besides her number."

"Dude, I'm a professional. I'm offended you would think that." Dean says and I roll my eyes as he holds up the napkin with her number.

"You mind doing a little bit of thinking with your upstairs brain?" Sam says, the smallest hint of malice and I see his quick glance towards me.

"There's nothing to find out. Meredith worked here, she waits tables. Everyone here is her friend, they say she's normal. She didn't do or say anything weird before she died. So... What about that symbol? Did you find anything?" Dean asks.