Chapter 17 - The Magnificent Seven

One Week Later

Dean speeds down the road with the biggest smile on his face, the music playing loudly. His hand with the sparkling new wedding ring is on the steering wheel, the other grasping my hand firmly. I run my thumb gently over his knuckles, my engagement and wedding rings pressing into his thigh.

"Let me see your knife." Sam says from the back.

"What for?" Dean asks, looking back at him.

"So I can gouge my eyes out." He answers, causing Dean and I to chuckle.

"It's a beautiful, natural act Sam between a man and his wife." Dean states.

"It's a part of you I never wanted to see, either of you." He mutters and I roll my eyes, "You could have knocked louder Sam."

"I do appreciate you giving me time with the Mrs, Sam." Dean says.

"Yeah, no problem." Sam nods and Dean gives him a look, "Really? I gotta say, I was expecting a weary sigh or an eye roll or something."

"No, no. Not at all. You deserve to have a little fun. After all, this basically your honeymoon." He says and the side of my mouth turns up into a smile as I look at my new husband.

"Well, I'm in violent agreement with you there." He says, lifting my hand up and placing a kiss on it before putting it back in its spot.

I smile at him for a second before looking back at Sam, "So what's Bobby got?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "Not much. Crop failure and cicada swarm outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. Now it could be demonic omens--"

"Or a bad crop and bug problem." Dean says and Sam sighs, "Yeah, but it's our only lead."

"Any unusual deaths?" I ask and he shakes his head, "Nothing Bobby could find. Not yet."

"It's weird man. I mean the night the Devil's gate opened and all these weirdo storm clouds were sighted over how many cities?" Dean asks.

"Seventeen." Sam recalls.

"Seventeen. You'd think it'd be Apocalypse Now. It's been five days and bupkes. What are the demons waiting for?" Dean wonders.

I shrug my shoulders, "Beats me."

"It's driving me crazy. If it's gonna be war, I wish it'd start already." Dean mutters and I give him a look, "Be careful what you wish for."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We pull up on a small property outside of Lincoln, the sound of cicadas almost defeating as we get out of the car. Bobby leans against his car in front of us.

"You hear those cicadas?" Sam asks and I shake my head as I look around, "That can't be a good sign."

We all walk forward and Bobby takes in the cheeseburger in Dean's hand, "So we're eating bacon cheeseburgers for breakfast, are we?"

"Well, sold my soul. Got a year to live. I ain't sweating cholesterol." He says and I push away the nagging feeling of fear at his words.

I shake my head and turn to Bobby, "So, what do you think? We got a biblical plague or what?"

"Well, let's find out. Looks like the swarms ground zero." Bobby says as we walk up the front steps.