Chapter 8 - Salvation

"So this is it, this is everything I know." John says, gesturing around the room.

The walls are plastered with newspaper clips, photographs, weather charts and so much more. All of it connecting to the demon that he's been hunting for the past twenty two years. I lean my hands on the back of the chair as I look towards the man, him explaining everything to us.

"Look our whole lives have been searching for this demon right? Not a trace, just nothing. Till about a year ago, for the first time I picked up a trail."

"That's when you took off." Dean murmurs.

"Yeah, that right. The demon must have come out of hiding, or hibernation." John muses.

"Alright, so what's this trail you've found?" Dean asks.

"It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California... Houses burned down to the ground, it's going after families. Just like it went after us." John explains.

"Families with infants?" Sam asks, from his spot over by the window.

"Yeah, the night of the kid's six month birthday." He elaborates.

"I was six months old that night?" Sam questions, looking between his family members.

"Exactly six months." John states.

"So basically this demon is going after these kids, for some reason. Sam way it came for me." He says, "So Mom's death, Jessica... It's all cause of me?"

"We don't know that Sam." Dean states and Sam steps forward angrily, "Oh really? Cause I'd say we're pretty damn sure here Dean."

"For the last time what happened was not your fault." Dean says, raising his voice.

"Yeah you right, it's not my fault! But it's my problem." Sam says, getting angrier.

"No, it's not your problem. It's our problem." Dean clarifies.

John raises to his feet, "Okay, that's enough."

Everyone remains quiet before Sam speaks up again, "So why is it doing it? What does it want?"

"Look I wish I had more answers. I do. I've always been one step behind it. Look I've never gotten there in time to save..." John trails off and I see the guilty look he gets on his face whenever he thinks about this stuff.

"So how do we find it before it hits again?" I ask, bringing the conversation back to topic.

"There are signs. Look, it took me a while to see the pattern but in the days before these fires, signs crop up in an area. Cattle deaths, temperature fluctuations, electrical storms. And then I went back and checked, and..." He trails off.

"These things happened in Lawrence." Dean states.

John nods his head, "A week before your mother died. And in Palo Alto, before Jessica. And these signs, they're starting again."

"Where?" Sam asks, his voice gruff.

"Salvation, Iowa." He answers.

I straighten up and run my fingers through my hair before looking at them all, "Then I guess we better start packing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John hangs up the phone as we make our way to the side of the road just within the boundary of the town. We park quickly before climbing out, his body language changing quickly. I'm confused as I climb out after him, the boys stepping out of the impala.