Chapter 74: The Edge.

Clove's POV

* * * * * * * * *

10 August 3114

* * * * * * * * *

"Did you hear that?" Aloe asks no one in particular. Her bangs fall down from her ponytail and falls over her stormy blue eyes.

"Hear what?" Gloss asks her in return, confusion flickers in his eyes.

A twig breaks and I snap my head up. That, was definitely something. Or possibly, someone.

"That." Aloe replies, she stands up straight and quickly looks around. I also scan the jungle floor. I clutch Faye's arm and I can strangely feel her heartbeat through her wrist.

I tug her close to me and whisper ever so quietly; "Take out your pocket knife." She does so and I pull out a serrated knife and unhook my spiked mace.

Gloss and Aloe notice my actions and do the same. We circle around and I feel Aloe's heavy, tense breathing on my neck.

"Okay, calm down. It's probably Titus." Gloss assures us all. I'm not convinced. "I'll throw a spear when I hear another sound. Run the other way, Clove stick with Faye and Aloe you're with me."

I hold Faye's hand tightly, ready to run but I don't know where I'll be running to.

It takes a few seconds for the 'that' to make another sound. I hook my mace back onto my pants and tug Faye in the opposite direction.

Gloss throws his spear in the same direction. There's a roar. At that may moment, I know that it's not Titus or Bria.

A large brown bear jumps out of the vegetation. It's roughly about nine feet tall. It's brown fur is shaggy and becoming knotted. It's frothing at the mouth so I'm guessing it has some sort of disease. It's calws are easily three inches long and it has fanged teeth that's dripping with poisonous saliva.

Aloe screams loudly. I begin to run in the opposite direction, going no where in particular.

I charge on while pulling a screaming Faye with me. I hear a howling behind me. I command my legs to go faster, but since I've practically starved and dehydrated since I came in, the fatigue is now settling in.

I feel weak as I run, and trying to pull Faye with me is an extra struggle.

We zig-zag through the large dense trees, still wet from last nights storm. We try our best to avoid tripping over the rocks or being hit in the face with the long leaves.

I cannot let that thing catch me, or Faye for that matter. It will rip poor Faye to shreds with its three inch claws in seconds.

A vivid image of a bleeding Faye enters my head. Her brown curly hair is now dyed red with blood. Her chest rises up and down in a desperate attempt to get some oxygen into her blood filled lungs.

I blink the image out of my head. I push onwards even though my body is cussing at me to stop.

That creature could easily hack me and my baby to death with its fangs.

I feel my heart thump and beat quicker in my chest. I can't let that catch me. It'd kill us all in seconds.

I take a sharp left and I hear Faye squeal as she tries to keep up. I realise at that moment she's struggling. I dare to look back and I see little beads of sweat running down her forehead.

There's no sign of that.

I run my hand over my forehead to wipe away my own sweat. I feel my lungs begin to burn and hurt. My muscles are in agony and I can feel my whole body begin to deteriorate.