Chapter 71: Bridges.

Clove's POV

* * * * * * * * *

05 August 3114

* * * * * * * * *

In my personal experience, you can sense when something is going to go wrong. The electricity buzzes through the air at a haste rate.

I could feel it.

My fingers are twitching slightly, I'm dying to get back out there. Yesterday was terrible, no one died and I had an episode.

That cannot happen again.

I fiddle with my round, sparkling engagement ring. It's cold in here. It doesn't feel like it used. I bite my lip in anticipation of Gloss' command.

"Tribute hunting-" he says after a minute or two, I smile gaily. "Thirteen people must die for one of us to go home. Let's make it twelve, today."

I nod and jump up. I check my belt for my knives and I grab my mace. I sling my pack over my shoulders. I chew my crystallised ginger.

Aloe stands up and stretches backwards. She places her hand over her mouth as she yawns.

She begins to talk to Olive and Demi. Demi pulls her brown and blue hair up into a short ponytail.

"Morning Clove, how you feelin'?" Faye asks me.

"I'm good. Are you read for hunting?" I ask her with a little, almost nervous laugh.

She shakes her head and smiles at me. She pulls her pack over her shoulder and follows me over to Gloss.

"Hi Gloss!" Faye chimes as she opens a small pack of trail mix.

"Mornin' Faye. Sleep well?" he asks her and she nods.

"Pity I can't say the same for you." Gloss was on watch last night.

"I'll be on tonight." I suggest and Gloss nods in agreement. 

"Great. Come on ladies we don't have all day!" Gloss calls only to receive a glare from Olive. On Gloss' command we trudge into the vegetation.

I feel almost euphoric as we make our way through the leaves. Today, I'm back on track. Someone is going to die, I don't care if I don't kill them, but someone must go.

We arrive at the wooden bridge. "Gloss, I'm not to sure about this. I mean just look at the-" Aloe panics.

"Calm down Al, I'll go first, Aloe, Faye then Clove and Demi and Olive can tag along behind yeah? Sounds good? Great!" he says when no one objects.

He nods at us and begins to shimmy across the wooden bridge. He hollers for Aloe to come over. As she carefully makes her way across, I notice it looks a little shaky compared to the day Faye and I crossed it.

Within two minutes, the three of us are over and safe. Demi is almost over and Olive is just starting off.

I hack on my lip to amuse me. There's a loud snap that brings me back to reality. It takes me a few moments to realise what's actually happening.

The ropes on the other side of the river snap, causing the wooden bridge to fall downwards. Demi screams as the bridge hits the other cliff.

It creates a loud crashing sound. The four of us scamper to the edge of the cliff just in time for us to see a few wooden steps to fall down into the abyss below.

Demi begis to yell out in fear.

"Demi! Olive!" Aloe calls down to them.

"Climb Demi!" Olive screeches at her, his voice cracking at her name.