Chapter 3

I awoke in a panic forgetting that I fell down. I rip my knife out in self-defense but was quickly greeted to the best smell I've ever smelt. I felt as if I didn't even walk to the table, it felt like I floated across the room. Toriel was fast to greet me by peeking her head out from the corner.

"Oh! Good morning, Chara. Like I said yesterday, I'm making my famous butterscotch cinnamon pie!" She sounded so welcoming and happy. I guess not all people are like me. But then she looked at my hands and saw the knife and said quickly, "It's okay, my dear, you can put the knife down." Then she went back to the kitchen and I heard her humming a warming tune,

'.Home. '

Toriel came out of the kitchen and brought out a big piece of pie. It looked perfect! Golden brown crust and a wonderful mix of butterscotch and cinnamon scents filled the house. She went over to me and set the piece of pie down in front of me and I devoured it! My slice was gone in literal seconds.

"Would you like an another slice?" Toriel asked me. I nodded fast and she laughed and went to get me another piece. I didn't notice Asriel standing right behind me.

"BOO!" Asriel yelled into my ear. I flipped out from the loud noise and my natural reactions to loud noises took over so fast I didn't even have to think about it. I was underneath the table covering my head with my knife in my hand. I listened and expected there to be bombs or for someone to start beating me up or calling me names. But none of that came...

Asriel looked stunned. He crouched down and looked at me oddly, "Um, what... what are you doing?"

I opened up my eyes and remembered I was in the Underground. Like Asgore told me yesterday, I'll be okay here nobody would hurt me... intentionally that is. I shook off the embarrassment and the thought of bombs falling, out of my head and got up and saw Toriel and Asriel standing there looking at me with questioning faces.

I rolled my eyes and remembered I only talked to Asgore about the hate and the wars. "There was a war going on up were I came from, not to long ago about a year ago to be exact. Humans fought each other. One horrible man created this thing called a grenade and many have them." Asriel seemed worried and terrified at the same time but I smiled creepily and continued, "They throw them and it destroys everything in its path. Those bombs killed my last living blood relatives and everyone from my old orphanage, I was trained that whenever I heard a sudden loud noise to get underneath a sturdy object." I whacked the table and it barely moved, "This is sturdy."

Toriel then told me, "It's okay, small one, those... uhh... bombs... cannot hurt you here. I have never heard of such a terrible thing. But I must ask, will you please put your knife down? Please?"

I crawled out from underneath the table and I looked down at my hand curled around the knife. It fitted in my hands perfectly but I put it down beside my new slice of pie, these people were nicer than anyone I had ever meet I would never hurt them. Most people told me to use that knife for 'good' and go kill myself. Those humans, what nasty creatures.

Then we sat and waited for Asgore to wake up. Once he did we went off to what they called 'MTT's monster market.' Asgore bought me a full twin sized bed! Normally I slept on the ground in flour bags or something. Toriel took me aside for a second and asked if I liked to wear dresses to formal or very important places. I told her I've never worn a dress before, they are too expensive on the surface. So she smiled and nodded and ran off to the sewing aisle. Then Asgore asked me for my favorite color and I said, like always, green and or yellow. Asriel told me it was his favorite colors too! So Asgore picked Asriel and me matching blankets and sheets with green and yellow stripes, mine had one big long stripe down the middle and Asriel's had multiple. I loved these people so much I would literally do anything for them!

~a few short days later~

It's weird how one can warm up to something so new so fast. Within days I was completely moved in with Asgore, Toriel, and Asriel. Asriel and I shared a bed room. Most people on the surface refuse to share a room with me, let alone stand in the same building as me, but Asriel was happy to have a roommate.

Toriel smiled happily at my excitement of all the new and wonderful things I gotten and said, "I'm so glad that you are enjoying it here! Maybe tomorrow Asriel can show you around the monster kingdom! But for now you two be good and I'll call you for dinner." With that she smiled and closed our bedroom door.

I was so overwhelmed with excitement that I couldn't hold it back anymore. I screamed into my new pillow, "AAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!"

Asriel jumped back and asked, "Huh?! Are you okay?!"

"Yes! Yes!" I laughed, "I'm just so happy to be here. My surface life was terrible and was tortured by everyone and now you got me a bed! Food! Shelter! I never had any of this up there. My adoptive mother tortured and beat me after my adoptive father died and I felt alone for so long and now I have you!" I shyly look at his face and see his sad but surprised look that crossed his face. Then I realized I told him about my mom. I quickly covered my mouth and saw Asriel start to cry.

"I thought the surface was better than that... I'm... I'm so s-sorry!" He said. "I had hoped t-that one day I could g-go to the surface and live a better and h-happier life. I guess I should start to s-stop listening to that rumor, it's not like anyone knows how to get out of here anyways." He wiped his eyes and laughed, "I guess I should say, I'm just so happy you showed up. I've always wanted a true friend."

I was shocked none to less. The son of the king and queen of the Underground didn't even have a friend? Well, a peasant like me had no friends but now I've got Asriel. "Asriel... that means so much. I've never had a friend either."

I bitterly thought about my old friends and it was simpler to tell him I had no friends. All those girls were bitches anyways. "But one question... why do you want to be my friend so much? Friends with someone like me! I mean you the prince of this world and you want to be friends with someone like me?! I just don't believe it."

He sighed. I could tell he wasn't telling me something but I let it go. Then he smiled wide and proudly said, "Well who else can you become friends with when the miracle I have hoped for, for years upon years, finally shows up? I have begged for a friend... Not a monster friend, some friend that was different someone who might understand me. I got that wish and I'm grateful. Chara, I've only known you for a day and a half and your already my best friend!"

This warmed my heart. I thought for sure I was going to cry but then I was brought back to my senses when Toriel yelled, "It's it's dinner time children!" I smiled at Asriel and got up.