Mothers and Children

"So you found a female Night Fury who won't let anyone near her? Why didn't you tell me about this sooner?" Kari asked her brother as he lead her though the hangar towards the mostly deserted section, only reserved for more dangerous dragons.

"We weren't exactly sure about letting anyone else besides the gang get close to her. Toothless tried to sooth her but got hurt in the process." Hiccup explained. "Got a nasty bit on his back leg when he approached her."

"Is she hurt in any way? You know injured dragons are very aggressive and dangerous to others."

"She even growls at mom and Bella and no one even wants to throw dragon nip at her." Hiccup said as they reached a stable that was locked.

"So why ask me for help?"

"Well from what we read from that book you gave us, weredragons could apparently understand other dragons after they first transform. Mom and I figured you could try and talk to the Night Fury."

"Well let's hope it works little brother."

Hiccup unlocked and unbolted the doors of the stable and let Kari walk inside first. Laying on the hay was a sleek blue Night Fury who was asleep. Her ears twitched at the sound of their footsteps and opened up one eye to reveal a set of royal purple eyes.

<You humans just don't know when to quit huh?> Kari heard her mutter.

<We're Vikings, it's natural for us to be stubborn.> Kari replied, sitting down on the floor in front of the Night Fury.

<You smell like a dragon, yet you are a human.> The female Night Fury said, opening her other eye and lifting up her head. <What are you exactly and how do you speak my language?>

<I'm a weredragon, my brood mate told me you have been causing some trouble lately.> Kari said picking up a piece of straw and twirling it between her fingers.

<Do you know why?> She asked.

<Were you hurt?>

<No I was not hurt. In fact, you females should know that female dragons can be quite moody during their time that they are waiting.>

"What's she saying?" Hiccup asked his sister.

"She said....wait.." Kari quickly switched to Dragonese. <Were you pregnant?>

The Night Fury gave a small chuckle and lifted up her wing to reveal a small black bundle who gave a small coo.

"Why, she has an infant." Kari said bending down to examine the small hatchling. "No wonder she is being aggressive to all of you."

It was black with bright blue eyes, two purple bands on it's wars, a small streak of purple on the head spikes and back spikes and even it's tail fins.

"She must have been pregnant when we found her." Hiccup said studying the baby. "This means that there are more of them out there!"

<Hello little one.> Kari said softly, getting down on her belly to be level with the Night Fury. The hatchling's nose twitched as it crawled forward and sniffed her. Kari gave a soft growl and the baby gave a squeal before scurrying back to it's mother.

"That wasn't funny Kari." Hiccup scolded when his sister sat up laughing.

"She finds it funny too!" Kari protested, pointing to the mother who was chuckling and licking her infant.

"Hang on, I'm gonna go get the others." Hiccup said hurrying out of the stable.

<You must have had a hatchling as well, you smell of milk.> The female said to Kari when she finished licking her baby clean.

<I had one recently, he's such a tiny thing but he's so cute.> Kari said with a nod. <He looks like me only he has his father's hair and eyes.>

<I miss my mate, I haven't seen him since the breeding season and that was months ago.> The female sighed and nuzzled her baby. <My baby is all I have left of him.>

<I haven't seen mine in a long time too, I miss him so much. And my baby reminds me of his father too.>

<May I see him?>

<Of course, I'll bring Stoick down here. I'm sure he'll get along nicely with your baby.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well would you look at that?" Valka said watching her grandson playing with the small Night Fury and Kari laying down on her belly in front of it's mother. "I never thought I'd live to see this in all my forty four years."

"That Night Fury really likes her." Astrid said as the small dragon crawled towards it's mother to escape the small and grabby human. "Although I couldn't say the same for the baby."

"According to Kari, her name is Nix and she still hasn't chosen a name for her hatchling." Fishlegs said as he was scribbling into the Book of Dragons excitedly. "I can't believe that we can now study the female of this rare species!"

Nix lifted her head and growled angrily at the remark.

"She said doesn't like the sound of that and that you better not be poking and prodding her." Kari said from the floor.

"No one is poking anyone, all we're gonna do is just watch her and if she gives us permission we'll conduct different tests." Hiccup said quickly. "No poking or prodding will be done, I promise."

<You better keep that promise.> Nix muttered. <You better.>

>