Why He Changed

"Oh shut up

"Oh shut up." Kari laughed. "Now if you excuse me, I have to go home to check on our son."

"Aria says I can go home tomorrow, maybe after you put Killer down for a nap we could have some alone time?" Dagur suggested, giving her a smirk.

"We'll see, for now you need your rest." Kari said, grabbing the blankets and tugging them up to cover her husband's chest and kissed his cheek. "Behave yourself dear."

"I will, I'm not going anywhere." Dagur promised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daddy will be home tomorrow, he is really eager to see you." Kari said as she put Stoick to bed. "Excited to see daddy?"

Stoick gave a small coo and clapped his little hands together. Kari bent over and kissed her son on the forehead before pulling a blanket over him and rocking the cradle gently.

"Mind if I put him to sleep?" Heather asked, entering the room as she dried her hair with a towel. "You could take a bath."

"Well I guess you could, he likes you anyways." Kari said, getting up and allowing Heather to rock the cradle.

Kari grabbed her nightgown and a towel before heading into the washroom. Heather had set the tub up for her with some warm water and a few buckets to rinse herself off. After stripping her clothes off and discarding them to the side, she climbed into the tub and layed down.

She began to think about what her husband said about how he had no regrets of ever kissing her after the first time, even the times when their tribes were at war with each other.

Like the time he came to Berk as chief, he cornered her after Barf and Belch had appeared and kissed her. Then the times when she had fallen prisoner to him he would kiss her and hold her against him till she stomped on his foot or managed to pinch the back of his neck with her sharp nails before running off to catch a wild dragon that was on the island to escape.

'Did he still love me even when he declared war on us?' She wondered. He must have, but what had gotten him to change after all these years so they could marry? 'Was it me that he was trying to change for?'

She heard a loud knock and grabbed her towel to cover herself.

"Who is it?" She asked asked, standing up and wrapping herself up to dry.

"It's me, I put Stoick to sleep." Heather called from the opposite side of the door.

"Thanks Heather, you can sleep in the room next to mine." Kari replied as she stood up dried herself.

'Maybe I should ask Dagur when he comes home tomorrow.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've been meaning to ask you, why did you still love Kari even though she was on the dragon riders side during the war?" Bludgeon asked Dagur as he tried making Dagur comfortable to sleep. "And what exactly made you change?"

"Well I always had a crush on her when we we're kids, and when our fathers said we were going to get married I felt like it was a dream come true." Dagur responded, biting his lip when he felt his arrow wound hurt. "And even though we were on opposite sides, I didn't really feel any hate towards her."

"Well you must have since she was also keeping the whole dragon rider stuff a secret from you." Bludgeon said, sitting down on a stool next to the bed. "Not that I hate her anymore, I was skeptical about you two marrying at first but she turned out to be a very cool girl and gave you an heir we all adore."

"Yep, everyone loves Killer." Dagur chuckled.

"I thought she named him Stoick."

"His Berserker name, Stoick doesn't sound so....fearsome."

"Stoick the Killer then?"

"Uh no...."

"So are you gonna answer the last question?" Bludgeon asked.

Dagur sighed and touched the scar on the side of his face.

"After Alvin set me against a dragon and I got this scar and sent me back home, I found this document my father and her father wrote. We could not marry until I have changed my deranged ways, and this shocked me." Dagur explained. "So I tried changing my ways, the way I acted, the way I thought, everything so I could be a good husband to her. If I haven't changed and hadn't found that document I would have probably forced her to come with me and she would have hated me more than she did before."

"Let's not forget she would not want to have any of your children either if you two got married if you were still deranged." Bludgeon added. "Stoick wouldn't even be here if you haven't changed."

"Yes, and I started to see dragons the way my wife and her brother saw them when I found Elysia. I felt so horrible for killing dragons just to learn about them when I could study them better if they were alive."

"You think she has doubts about marrying you?"

"I doubt it." Dagur said, shaking his head and smiled a bit. "We wouldn't have gotten this far if she had any doubts. And I have no regrets for this choice I made to change for her."