A Bloody Fertility Party

"Today's the day." Dagur said as he and several men from the village walked through the haunted and eerie woods in search of a dragon. "As much as I dislike this tradition, Kari said she'd go through with it."

It had been a week since Kari had announced her pregnancy to the village. Everyone had been preparing everything for the fertility ceremony and that evening, Dagur had chosen several men to come with him to find a dragon. Any dragon would have been fine with Dagur, but his men insisted that he'd find a big one, perhaps a Monstrous Nightmare or a Whispering Death.

"She's pretty brave for wanting to do this, not many women who were not born into our tribe can stomach a dragon heart." One man said.

"Well that's my wife for you. Now let's try and find a dragon for this ceremony shall we? It's been two hours and we haven't found a single bloody-"

The bushes rustled loudly and a blood curling roar that made the hair on Dagur's neck and arms stand on end. Out leapt a large black and red Monstrous Nightmare, a titan sized one of course.

"Uh please tell me this is not the dragon you wanna kill for Kari to eat the heart." Bludgeon said nervously and hefted his crossbow up.

"Oh it is." Dagur said drawing his sword out. "I'm gonna kill this dragon and carve it's heart out for my wife to eat."

"Oh gods...." Bludgeon muttered. "Fine but it's your funeral cousin."

"Shut up." Dagur muttered. And with that, he gave a wild scream and charged headfirst at the Monstrous Nightmare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you nervous?" Renitia asked Kari as they were waiting for Dagur to arrive.

"Sort of. And I haven't eaten anything so I can eat the heart without throwing up." Kari said placing her hands on her flat stomach. "But I'm worried more about my husband, what if he got hurt or got killed? I don't want my baby to be fatherless so soon!"

"Nothing can kill Dagur that's for sure." Eleanor said glancing at the door. "He once jumped off a ten foot cliff when he was as ten and survived the fall. And he got shocked by a Skrill and took on an angry Monstrous Nightmare that Alvin put him up against as a punishment, that's why he has that scar."

"He's here!" Someone yelled as some shouts were heard from outside.

The doors opened and Dagur stepped in all covered in blood and mud with a few twigs stuck to him and holding a bloody lump in his hand as some men dragged in a dead Monstrous Nightmare into the room. They dragged the dragon over to the women and dropped it in front of them. Dagur stepped forward and placed the heart in Kari's hands.

"Titan Monstrous Nightmare, almost took my face off." He said, brushing a strand of Kari's hair out of her face and leaving a small streak of mud on her cheek. "I hope it was worth it."

"I hope so too." Kari said examining the heart. It felt heavy as it oozed blood and for a moment Kari thought she could still feel it beating.

"Go on, it's time." Dagur said guiding her to the alter where the elder stood.

As Kari climbed onto the alter with the help of the elder and her husband, she let him remove her shirt leaving only her bindings and leaving her stomach bare. She looked at the heart which was already making her hands look like she stuck them in a bleeding pig and layed down on the floor.

"I'm ready." She told the two men.

"Let your husband take the first bite to paint your stomach with the dragon's blood." The elder instructed.

Kari sat up and handed the dragon heart to Dagur. He looked at it in disgust before opening his mouth and sinking his teeth into the bloody flesh. Kari gagged at the sight of blood dripping down her husband's chin and lips as he tore a hunk of flesh from the heart and swallowed it before handing the heart back to her.