Chapter 31

5 years later

"The plane will be landing soon Ms. Matthews" the flight attendant of Riley's privat yet anounced. Riley smiled thankful and putted her laptop away. She fastened her seatbelt and looked out the window. "Hello New York" she muttered. While putting her magazines away she read the cover one more time: BOSSING IN STYLE. Riley's picture on the cover made her smile proud. Being CEO of Matthews international at an age this young isn't easy. But she was thought well. She had to admit she was nervous about returning home. She had dodged it for an entire year but it was time to return and see everyone. She looked down at her hand. The infinity band was still sparkling around her finger. Like always she slid it off and tucked it into her purse. She took a deep breath and buckled her seatbelt.

"Welcome back Ms. Matthews. We've got your car ready to bring you to your penthouse." Her assistant said the first moment she walked off the plane. "Change of plans. Bring me to Topanga's. Here's the address. You can send my stuff to the penthouse. I hope it's the right one" she eyed over to the tall man in black suit. "Of course. The one you picked out online. Excellent choice may I add" Riley smiled proud. "What can I say? I always loved picking out places to live" The car door was opened for her and she hopped into the black Range Rover. "You know where Topanga's is?" Riley asked while looking through her bag. "I know it very well" Riley snapped her head up. "Mom!" She fell over and hugged her mom tight. "W...why are you driving?" Riley asked surprised. "I gave Edward and extra day off so I could pick my daughter up from the airport." Riley smiled. "Thank you, wait. I'll join you" Riley squeezed herself to the front of the car, accidentally hitting her mother in the face while doing it. "Sorry" she apologized once she was sat up front. Topanga chuckled and shook her head. "I missed you" she said. Riley smiled. "I missed you too" Topanga kissed Riley's temple and started the car. "Ok, buckle up" Riley turned on her seatbelt and Topanga drove away.

"Wow, nothing much has changed" Riley said while Topanga pulled up in front of the building. "I tried to keep it the way you always liked it. Even though Auggie begged me to change the wallpaper I decided it should stay exactly the same" Riley nodded agreeing. "Wise choice" Topanga chuckled and Riley got out of the car. "Aren't you joining me?" She asked when she saw her mother wasn't turning off the engine. "Sorry honey, I need to pick your father up from a meeting. But call me when you get to your penthouse" Riley nodded. "I will, thanks for the ride mom!" Topanga waved while Riley slammed the door shut. She looked after the car driving away into the busy New York traffic. Riley sighed and turned towards the staircase that lead to the entrance of the bakery. With her purse in her hands she walked down step by step feeling more nervous every second. People were sitting outside, enjoying the lovely weather. She greeted them polite and made her way inside. She already saw a familiar face sanding by the counter. The petit blonde was taking orders from an older man. With her polite smile on she took notes and thanked the man. Riley smiled proud and sat down in a booth. She took the menu and saw that the 'Auggie' and the 'Riley' menu were still on the there. She smiled and remembered the time her mother named Riley's favorite menu after her. She putted the menu down and took out her phone. Already five missed calls. Not today. She had other plans. She started nervously tapping her foot against the hardwood floor.

"Hi welcome to Topanga's how can I-" Maya stopped mid sentence when Riley snapped her head up. "Riley?" The brunette nodded and stood up. "Oh my god you're back already!" Maya hugged her best friend tight. "Oh my god it's bin so long!" Maya said. "Almost nine months!" Riley said nodding. "Yeah, ever since you threw that party to celebrate your take over off the company. Which was amazing by the way, thank you for letting me stay in your lovely home in California" Riley smiled proud and they sat down in a booth. "Oh Melissa!" Maya stopped another waitres. "Can you please take over?" Maya begged, the redhead nodded and walked back to the counter. "Oh god you look so formal" Maya said looking over Riley's outfit. "Well I'm a real bussines woman now" Riley said pulling her collar proud. Maya giggled. "I know! Matthews international is beaming ever since you took over!" Riley nodded. "Yeah, I've bin doing great bussines" Riley nodded. "Yeah, and I've got a job offer for you" Maya knitted her eyebrows together confused. "But I'm a painter" Maya said. "Exactly, Matthews international is launching a brand new collection of phone covers. And I'd like it if you'd design them" Maya's jaw dropped. "You mean I get to design phone covers?" Riley nodded confirming. "And get loads of money for it baby" Maya squeeled and hugged her best friend. "Oh my god! Thank you Riles! You're the best!" Riley laughed while Maya had her arms around the fancy brunette. "Come over to the office tomorrow morning so we discuss everything" Maya nodded. "Yes of course! I can't believe you're my boss now!" Maya said exited. "Actually your direct boss is Ms. Porter but you know where to find me" Maya giggled and took the business card from Riley. "This is gonna be so much fun!" Maya couldn't contain her exitement and jumped up. "This is so amazing!" Riley laughed at her goofy best friend. Melissa frowned confused. "Wow, she must be really happy to see you" Riley chuckled. "Something more then that" Riley enlightened the redhead.

Lucas hung up the phone and groaned. He quickly putted his autograph on some papers and stood up. "Renee?" He yelled. His assistant walked inside and fixed her glasses. "Yes Mr. Friar?" She asked shy. "I'm leaving now, tell Mr. Adams to move up the meeting to tomorrow morning." Renee nodded simply and returned to her desk. Lucas sighed and checked his private phone. Two missed calls from Farkle. Oh well he'd call once he was home. He lifted his phone back in his pocket wnd I've he walked outside flashes went off. Ofcourse. Being one of the youngest CEO's on the planet has its ups and downs. They always want to know how things go, and if there are any problems. He passed them and overheard the questions. "How's the new item working?" "Any new projects coming up?" "Will the loss prevent Friar internationals from prodicsing their next tablet?" "Does the return of Ms. Matthews have an effect on the company?" "When will a new product be released" Lucas stopped his tracks. "What did you say?" He asked one journalist specific. Everyone stopped and the guy gulped. "Um....will the return of your ex-girlfriend and now CEO of Matthews international have an impact on the company and....you?" The man asked a little frightened. Lucas had no idea. She was back? After all these years eh was in New York again? "Mr. Friar?" The same journalist asked. Lucas looked up and saw all eyes on him. "Um....no comment" a lot of protest was shot at him but he ignored it and walked over to his car. Once he was driving home he couldn't keep the thought of Riley being back in town out of his head. Should he contact her? But it's bin years. Still he can't get her out of her head. Well he promised he wouldn't. The necklace with the ring was still dangling under his nice shirt. Away from the paparazzi. Away from everyone that doesn't know. A promise he never broke.